Colour bleed - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 19th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #31
Major Player

Bernd, the color bleed in vertical direction is inherent to Pal decoder systems wereby in addition to that color downshift, also the vertical color resolution is halved in the Pal decoder. That's one of the reasons why components is better.... If the whole video chain (camera+ display)is OK, then the horizontal bleeding should be perfectly symmetrical
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #32
New Boot

Just came across this issue of color bleeding- thank goodness. I thought mine was the only one with this problem. My GL2, purchased in December of 2003, bleeds to the right as you view the image on the screen. It also has halos around objects of different brightnesses. It has been to the factory once and returned with a note saying it is within specs. Fortunately, there was a follow-up customer survey sent by Canon. After checking 0 in all of the boxes, I received a call from Canon Customer Service. A test tape in now in the hands of their repair department and I received a phone call saying something is wrong. They have already sent me a prepaid mailer to return the GL2, again, and I am just waiting for the go ahead. Hopefully, the problem is correctable although my 30 years as a Ford engineer make me a little cautious. We have had problems with some products that just could not be fixed- and we spent millions trying.
Howard Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:15 AM   #33
Major Player

Color bleeding in general is defined (limited) by the system (DV...PAL, NTSC..) and can't be reduced with camera settings or design tradeoffs.. Horizontal bleeding symmetry however is a very well known and understood issue by color encoder/decoder designers. It's been defined as the Y/C delay matching and is allmost allways selectable in the encoders as well as in the decoder(monitor or tv). In some cases it's user selectable even in consumer units. In modern TV design several kinds of color transient improvers are being used (CTI...) wereby the system limited color transient values get artificial enhancement resulting in allmost no bleeding for saturated color transients. If you want to (subjectively) verify your video chain (camcorder+display), just shoot a white paper with a red piece of tape from top to bottom and see on your screen if the bleeding is simular on both side of the tape image.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:53 PM   #34
New Boot

Andre
I photographed a red, green and blue tape against a white background and although all showed some bleeding, the red was the worst. And there was a difference from one side of the tape compared to the other. As viewed on the TV screen, the left side of the tape had a very bright fringe or halo with a reddish tint. The right side of the tape had a smeared reddish cast in its halo against the white background but lacked the brightness apparent in the left side.
Canon has had my GL2 and after returning it ask me to send in another tape showing my complaint again. Their reply was "it is within factory specs" (which is what the first reply said).
Because the GL2 has had good write-ups, I can only conclude the quality of the GL2 camcorders runs from excellant to mediocre. I hope potential GL2 purchasers buy the camera from a store that allows a return- not just an exchange. I you get a lemon as I did, the factory warrenty is vaporware.
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:47 AM   #35
New Boot

Here are the promised frames showing the colour bleed on my XM2.
Please follow the link http://temp.projektstudio.com/
As I have already mentioned, it’s the same on TV and computer monitor.
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #36
New Boot

Bernd
I wish the guys at Canon had eyesight as good as we do! Yes, I see your bleeding problem and my 70 year old wife with thick glasses also sees it. Very similiar to what I get on my GL2. Fortunately, Canon agreed to revisit my GL2 problem, so I am returning it to the factory for the second time. I seem to have gotten every excuse under the sun for what I see. My fear is they do not know how to fix it.
I wish other GL2 or XM2 owners who DO NOT have bleeding would respond to let us know if the problem is isolated to a few cameras. Better yet, a response from owners who HAVE bleeding problem would also be welcome. If it a universal problem we may just have to bite the bullet and live with it.
Oh, by the way, I saw a few halos in your photos in addition to the bleeding.
Howard
Old March 24th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #37
Tourist

I've had a GL2 for ~2 years - the first was was returned after a couple of months because of tape noise (while discussing it at my camera shop I was I was standing beside the Canaon rep - he authorized an immediate replacement). Most of the work I do is for sports videos (football) - bright colors and strong sunshine. Both cameras exhibited the bleeding/halo problems talked about here and elsewhere. I've used all the camera adjustments and filters discussed, with reasonable results. But as before, the tape playback looks good, it's OK on the computer, halos etc. visibile on a TV, and a copy to a VHS tape was terrible.

Over the last few months I've been making DVD's. Everything that looked terrble on a VHS tape is almost perfect on a DVD. So while we probably agree that the GL2 (and other digicams) have issues with bright colours (reds especially), I'm wondering if a major part of the problem is converting the digital signal to analog for playback on TV or VHS. Any comments from those electronically inclined (I'm a petroleum engineer, and didn't do well in electricity)?
Steve Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #38
Regular Crew

As the thread starter I think it’s about time I rejoined this discussion. It is probably more accurate to call the problem chroma shift than colour bleed; i.e. colours are shifted left and down. The vertical downward shift seems to be strictly confined to Pal users only (not an NTSC GL2 problem). I have had a number of emails from XM2 owners whose cameras exhibit this phenomenon.

I can concur with Steve Hancock’s finding that encoding to DVD and playback on television (using RGB input) reduces (but does not eliminate) the leftward colour shift. It does not however reduce the vertical shift. Again, this vertical shift is an XM2 problem and will not be evident on NTSC GL2’s.

Recently I got my hands on a digital projector. This was connected to my DVD player using component inputs/outputs. The shift was still evident.

Last November I sent my XM2 to Canon for inspection. The following is their reply:
“No fault found. Examined customers tape with complaint. This was found to be within specification. All camcorders will experience some bleeding, even broadcast.”
In my covering letter to Canon I did not mention bleed – all references were to colour shift.

I’m convinced this is a generic defect with all XM2’s. Therefore us poor Pal users will probably just have to suffer as its unlikely Canon will come up with any remedy so late in the product cycle.
David Deehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #39
New Boot

David
It may be a chroma shift that's confined to PAL/XM2 cameras but the GL2 has a big problem also, what ever the name. I see color spilling onto the background regardless of whether I am playing the original tape or a DVD made from the tape but my shift is to the right (when viewing the TV).
And by the way, the Canon reply must be canned- I got the same wording when I sent in my GL2. In regard to broadcast cameras having the same problem, give me a break. I have never seen anything on TV that compares to the bleeding on my GL2- not even on America's Funnest Home Videos.
Howard
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Howard,

I can understand your annoyance. Since the problem you are experiencing is slightly different to that suffered by XM2 users and not having seen much GL2 footage I'm not in a position to make an informed comment. Not many GL2 users have replied to the main thrust of this thread, which may mean that your situation is not symptomatic of GL2 cameras. This could indicate that your problem is fixable. Wait for a while and see if other GL2 users can confirm that their cameras do not exhibit what you are describing. If this is the case then your GL2 is probably defective - it will also strengthen any future argument with Canon.
Our XM2 problem would seem to be generic; therefore no quick fix is available.

regards

David
Old August 5th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #41
Major Player

the same problem here - XM2 user (just wanted to add me to the list...)

Did someone tried to solve that in post? Maybe in Vegas? (as I use that!) :)
Old August 5th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Cosmin,

So you suffer the dreaded colour bleed (chroma shift) problem as well. I’m surprised there haven’t been many more XM2 users adding their names to the list. Did you see my recent thread at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=29688

This thread describes another aspect of the chroma shift problem. I had originally thought it was some type of chromatic aberration but Andre de Clerq convinced me otherwise. The thread was started in this group but was quickly moved by Ken to the Open DV Discussion group – you may have missed it.

David
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #43
Major Player

Read this post with some interest and decided to look for a red on white example of bleeding with the GL2. This is not scientific, but the example I posted below does not show me any significant bleed and doesn't raise a concern from my perspective at least with the GL2 model.

http://www.beaconvideo.net/temp01.htm
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2004, 04:22 AM   #44
Major Player

Bob, this is indeed a pretty symmetrical bleed which is fully acceptable. The problem often occurs when the bleed is no longer symmetrical due to chroma shift...all the bleed occurs on one side instead of being distributed (and thus halved over the two edges) of a colored object. Playing back in NTSC(PAL) generally adds extra bleed and sometimes Y/C shift too. Some high-end TV's have CTI (color transient improve) circuits implemented which "cut" color bleed.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders