GL-2's WideAngle WD-58H - is it good? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 26th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #16
Regular Crew

By the way, if you are looking for a wide angle lens for a cam with 43mm threads, Canon makes one of those too ( a WD 43 of course ). I just bought one at B & H for my Optura 100 mc's.
Craig Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #17
New Boot

Guys,

I had a wd-58 for my gl-1 but when I upgrade to gl-2 I had a chance to compare it to Sony's vcl-hg0758 and I prefer the later for it is less distorted and the image looks prettier overall. (my wife like her photos from the Sony wa lens much much more). In direct comparason the Canon WD-58 produced images that just don't look right, especially noticable on people's face.)

The Sony is about $100 more , heavier and is less sharp than the Canon around the ring. But I bought it because, for me, the overall image quality more "beautiful".

I strongly encourage a comparason before you buy WD-58.

my 2 cents.
Max Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Aaron, avoid the kenko .65x wide adapter at all costs! - unless you want a fisheye effect! I had one, but quickly got rid of it. I always keep my UV on and I thought that was pushing the adapter out too far and causing the fish eye - WRONG. Even with the adapter right on my GL1 I still had a fisheye. But if it was given to you then you've got nothing to lose. My 2 cents....
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Strange as I have a 52 mm fit Kenko 0.65x as a partial zoom-through and I like it a lot. It's only single coated, but the barrel distortion isn't too bad and as a sinngle element it's sharp, compact, powerful and light.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #20
Wrangler

Partial zoom-through? How much and at what end of the zoom range.

I would expect a 52mm to vignette at wide settings if adapted to a 58mm thread.
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Partial zoom-through? How much and at what end of the zoom range. I would expect a 52mm to vignette at wide settings if adapted to a 58mm thread.
When you fit a single element wideangle adapter the camera has to enter its wideangle macro mode to be able to focus the image. So it depends on how powerful the macro focus is of your particular camera as to how far you can zoom before focus is lost.

Here's an example. The Z1 has a zoom scale shown in the v'finder that goes from 00 (full wide) to 99 (full tele). With my powerful single element wide-angle adapter in place the camera zooms from 00 to 65, so in this mode I still have a 7x zoom. Not bad for a 'non zoom-through' as they're generally known.

Don't let filter threads confuse you - they're just a designer's choice. The front element diameter and the lens' focal length are much more important considerations. The TRV900 for instance has a fairly big 52 mm filter thread surrounding a fairly small front element, and I could use a 43 mm wide-angle adapter with no vignetting.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I've had my WD58H on my GL2 since I got it last Fall and never taken it off, I attached a screen capture of a "final" shot from the film I am working on.
Attached Thumbnails
GL-2's WideAngle WD-58H - is it good?-aftercleanup.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders