GL2 Discontinued? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 14th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Major Player

GL2 Discontinued?

I noticed on Amazon this morning that they don't sell the GL2 anymore. Right now B&H still does, but I'm wondering - did Canon actually discontinue the line in favor of the XH line? I'd imagine that is the reason for the rebate that ends 01/31/07 - anyone know if that means that new GL2 from an authorized dealer will be unavailable after january?

If this info is available on Canon's site, I missed it - but I have no idea where to look there about stuff like this.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The GL2 remains current as long as it appears on the Canon DV Home Page (as it does right now). I wouldn't take the rebate expiry as any kind of guarantee that it's on its way out; that rebate has been "expiring" and renewing over and over again for quite some time.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Major Player

That's true. I just got worried when I was browsing amazon and the item page said "this model has been discontinued". Of course then I checked B&H and they still had it so I wasn't too worried.

Just thought I'd check in here. :-)
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Wrangler

It may just mean that the Amazon supplier has "discontinued" carrying the GL2. The $250 rebate has been going on for, what - 2 years now? It is an alternative to a price cut. Price cuts always cost the vendor, but many people neglect to send in rebates, especially corporate and government buyers.
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #5
Major Player

False Alarm

I figured out what they did on Amazon.

I clicked on the GL1 link from some list on the site. So it takes me to a GL1 page but they've changed the title to the GL2. However, since it is the GL1 page it said "discontinued".

Appologies for the panic attack. :-)
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders