My first problem with my GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 9th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Tourist

My first problem with my GL2

This was a disaster i was shooting a wedding and rewinded the tape over some recorded tape and got a shutter bline effect of old video and new video.
I don't know what went wrong. If i new how to post it i would.
John Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

It's never a good idea to record over old video. The tapes are cheap enough that you should not have to do re-use them like that. Chalk it up as a lesson learned, and I doubt you'll ever make that mistake again.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dawson
This was a disaster i was shooting a wedding and rewinded the tape over some recorded tape and got a shutter bline effect of old video and new video.
I don't know what went wrong. If i new how to post it i would.
Of course Chris is correct. However, I think this maybe only the start of your troubles.

Do a search on this Board for tape rewind issues. Lots.

Something may have misaligned/re-adjusted your heads as a result of the rewind - it happened to me. My guess is that something has been dislodged or the heads are out of whack. Do go ahead and video more and see if you get the same result. I had this exact same result after innocently and CORRECTLY using the rewind feature. The camera went in for the the kind of symptom you say and I was given a new transport mechanism by Canon-UK. Didn't cost anything, still under warranty, but the outcome of rewinding was still the same - a tracking issue.

Do a search on this board and make plans John. My money is on you having a repeat of this issue. It ain't gonna go away.

And no! I do NOT re-use tape. Others with other cameras may have 100% results - I dunno. My XM2s? New tape every time now.

I think you've been offered an early warning - act on it!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #4
Tourist

Thank You

Thank you for the reply. I have good feeling about this place, I don't feel so alone.
My next problem to over come is to find a way to be able to move around and keep the video steady. Is there a gadget i need to buy?
John Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Old Boot

Hi! You really should crawl all over this forum below. Loadsa stuff to investigate. For all type of budgets and all type of scenarios.

I have tripods, DVRigPro, a SpiderBrace and a Dolly.

Here's that Forum!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=42
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

John,

Grazie is right on, this list is the best things sense, hum?? almost anything digital.

A tiffen steady stick is economical, at the other end is a glide cam.

I rreally like to shoot off the shoulder. grazie posted pics of his spider brace, nice looking rig. I use a varizoom shoulder brace and it works fine but you pretty much have to have a manfrotto 521 pro (I think thats the number) to use it properly.

you are at the right place to sort this out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders