JVC GY-DV301E v XM 2 Which one do you reccomend? help needed thanks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 12th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #1
New Boot

JVC GY-DV301E v XM 2 v Sony VX2100 Which one do you reccomend? help needed thanks

hi there newbie query for the forum pros. I am in the market at present between choosing between either a Canon XM 2 or a JVC GY-DV301E and Sony VX2100e and seem ideal for what i need them for since selling my good old reliable XL1.

I use my cameras for motorcycle racing (MX and track racing). Basically i need something both more light weight and mobile than the XL1 one was particularly working with MX or Enduro racing where i am often walking around the whole track taking footage or walking miles when filming enduro racing in the bush.

But also i need a camera to film off the tripod when doing track racing (flat track or dirt track racing) where the tracks are usually between 300 meters to about 600 meters long at times and this where the extra zoom of the XL1 or in this case the XM 2 would come in handy particularly on the bigger tracks.

I would like to ask anyones advice on each model of camera bearing in mind i have long standing neck condition years back from racing myself and thus need a camera both mobile enough for the hours walking around filming MX etc by hand and also able to take the rigors of filming in dusty dry and sometimes muddy conditions up close to the racing like MX or Enduro but also to film just as well off the tripod with large tracks zooming in from a distance without the blur?.

Any help would be appreciated. I am inclined to go with the either the XM2 or VX2100 but that is only because i have never had much to do with the JVC range of cameras, i have also noticed others within my same chosen field mainly use the Sony XV2000 OR 2001 as well.??

Last edited by Nic Maguire; December 12th, 2006 at 01:46 AM.
Nic Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Nic, I can't comment on the JVC unit but for the last three years I have been using the XM2 to shoot a number of sporting, educational and outdoor educational activities covering the following, Rowing regattas at Geelong, Nagambbi and on the Yarra for three months of the year, A week of shooting Snow sports at Mount Beauty, Two week shoot of Bike riding tour of the Flinders Ranges, Followed a group of 80 students on a Two week Canoe trip down the Murray river and last but not least have faithfully shot the RACV Energy Breakthrough at Maryborough on a yearly basis. And lots of other subjects to many to list.

The point I am trying to get across is the XM2 has been one of the best cameras I have ever owned and over the last ten years I have had Sony and Panasonic cameras, all very good but did not stand up to the punishment I have put the XM2 through.

It is light, sturdy, reliable and has a 20 X Lens.

The only thing missing is HD and if you want that you should look at the new Canon A1 but you will need $6000.00 plus to enter that club, I will be seriously considering upgrading to th A1 next year.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Cliff Elliott
Cliff Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Nic,

I agree with the prior post. the xm2/gl2 shoot outstanding footage and it is very versatile!!! We have been filming demo videos this last week and the quality and detail is outstanding. If it was high definition all you could improve would be the dirt in the pores of the persons skin. One student is making a trailer and the footage indoors with extremely low light came out fantastic. Basicly, for the money the canon is an outstanding camera.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 07:50 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi Cliff and Dale, thanks for the replies and advice. I decided on a XM 2 and received it yesterday having been a previous owner of an XL1s the weight of it was the 1st thing i noticed straight away and as i film predominately dirt bike racing and as well track racing i can instantly see the benefits of the lighter weight and mobility for what i use for.

May i enquire where perhaps i can find a decent Aussie dust and/or rain cover seller 4 these models of camera. I had an old Portabrace i used on the XL1S but that was a fluke buy off Ebay 2nd hand at a good price from overseas and i have only noticed North American and some European sellers but none i can find in Australia that look half as good as the overseas brands.

Thanks again all the best Nic
Nic Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Nic,

sorry for not getting back sooner.

I have a kata rain slicker for my gl2.

A friend showed me his porta brace slicker and it was nicer.

Both are available from B&H and possibly video guys.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders