DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   vibrating stepper motor(iris) on GL-2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/82279-vibrating-stepper-motor-iris-gl-2-a.html)

Marc Gaudet December 21st, 2006 06:07 PM

vibrating stepper motor(iris) on GL-2

HELLO, i have a gl2 camera and recently my camera started vibrating when i put my newly purchased wide angle lens. it stops vibrating when i put it on manual but it also vibrates intermitenly as well it seems to be comming front the front of the lens on the therefore could it be the motor???? how much would it cost to fix it ????? is it a comon problem????

Chris Hurd December 21st, 2006 07:22 PM

Moved from Canon XH to Canon GL2.

Can you describe in greater detail what you mean by "vibrating," Marc?

Graham Bernard December 22nd, 2006 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Gaudet
HELLO, i have a gl2 camera and recently my camera started vibrating when i put my newly purchased wide angle lens. it stops vibrating when i put it on manual but it also vibrates intermitenly as well it seems to be comming front the front of the lens on the therefore could it be the motor???? how much would it cost to fix it ????? is it a comon problem????

More detail please?

However, and without a fuller explanation, I've never heard of using a Wide Angle and getting subsequent Vibration?

Does this vibration happen when zooming? There IS a zoom motor - yeah? Maybe the weight of the WA is enough to pull down the barrels of the zooming process to get some kind of "out-of-align" rubbing vibration?

In any event, and notwithstanding our need to hear a bit more from you, it DOES sound like a repair. And IF this is the case there woud also appear to be a lot of realigment, replacement and man-hours involved. I have no idea just how and exactly any of the insides of this stuff works. Only surmising on my part.

Expensive? I wouldn't know. If you are covered by insurance or with warranty it could cover it.

Have you dropped it recently? Have you had the camera from new? Did you buy it cheaply? Many things to consider - yeah? But, bottom line here is, do you wish to carry on using the camera to video?

G

Graham Bernard December 22nd, 2006 03:37 AM

Stepper motor? On Iris? On GL2? Didn't know that?

Ugh .. . is this to do with the stepper motor on the XH after all? Chris? what do you think?

I didn't know my XM2 had an IRIS stepper motor? I'm confused.

I DO know I have a ZOOM motor on my XM2. Hell, I would dearly, really love to see a real time webcam view of this phenomenon!!

Got my attention and no mistake.

Marc Gaudet December 22nd, 2006 03:24 PM

well its seems that when i put my camera on manual it starts vibrating followed by a huming noise and then i start playing with the the focus ring and it stops.
i figure i have to replace that motor but im looking at big bucks the worst part i just purchased the gl2 two month ago used for 1500$ this repair will cost alot

if i dont fix this i can't rely on this camera to record sound it realy makes a loud vibrating and huming noise

CHRIS, did you ever incounter this problem before???????????

Chris Hurd December 22nd, 2006 03:36 PM

I don't own a GL2 and I've never heard of such an issue... but maybe somebody else around here has? Sounds to me like it might require a trip to Canon service.