Diffusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 6th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Diffusion

Hi. I've been reading numerous posts in the past about filters to take the edginess off video. From my reading I seem to have come to the conclusion that the best filters to use are either a) 1/4 Black Pro-Mist or b) 1/2 Black Diffusion FX.

As what I have read talks about the XL1s, I was wondering if these were also the best filters for use on the XM2 and what the latest thinking on them was.

My requirements are mainly to lose the harsh edge from the video footage (ie more of a so called 'film-look') but I also want to shoot some sequences which have a more 'dream-like' quality to them (ie a bit more diffusion than just the standard 'film-look'.)

Will I get what I'm after with the two above mentioned filters? Or should I stick to one kind and get it in varying degrees?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i own full sets of black pro mist , double fog, low contrast, diffusion, & ultra con ( used them for film) ... for my GL1 i prefer to just dial down the sharpness for a less "electronic enhancement edge"... i have tried all the filters on the GL but in the end always use - 2to3 notches on sharpness ....

for all other "looks " i use fx's in NLE ..sometimes that could be same clip on 2 video tracks ..1 with blur added ..then blend the 2 tracks 60% normal and 40% the blur track ... or use glow filters etc ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Justin,
What it really comes down to is the amount of time you have available for post-production experimentation. If you will only have time to shoot, cut and print then using lens-based diffusion and effects may be a viable (and maybe the only) choice you have to soften shots. But if you have more post time you should shoot your footage straight and turn to digital tools for image modifications such as softening.

Remember, you can't add-back sharpness (i.e. "image information") in post that you didn't originally capture. You can always remove some.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think the 'in-camera' option would be best for me - to save on boring old render times.

But with regard to the post options, surely using gaussian blur will just make the whole image look out of focus rather than give it a diffused feel. I'm running FCE and I can't see any filters in there called 'glow' to which Don refers. :(
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 06:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm just starting to learn dv and editing, but I know that there is an effect in Vegas 4.0 called glow. Perhaps that is what Don refers to?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders