problem reading the mini DV tape on GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 8th, 2003, 03:59 AM   #1
New Boot

problem reading the mini DV tape on GL2

Ok here is my story. I edited a segment at my school using FCP. I then exported it to tape using the mini DV decks the school has. Then when I came home and put the tape in my GL2 it is not reading it correctly. The word "stereo" and "16 bit" flash on and off on my LCD screen, and it seems to be in slow motion with very very choppy audio. Does anyone know why this would happen?

Any input would be great. thanks!

Jonny Throop

jthroop@adelphia.net
Jonny Throop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 04:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

camera setting?

check your menu, do you need to set your camera for 16bit stereo?
Old April 8th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #3
New Boot

The camera is set at 16bit. I tried both 12bit and 16. the problem is still present
Jonny Throop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just guessing

What kind of DV deck does the school have? Sony? Is it possible that the tape was saved in DVCAM format? A GL2 can't read DVCAM. You'd have to set the deck to save as straight DV.

Second guess... was the tape saved in LP mode? LP mode is often not transportable between devices.

Can you get back into the lab to resave? If all else fails, take your GL2 and save directly to it.
Old April 9th, 2003, 09:47 PM   #5
Warden

Definetly sounds like a DVCAM issue. The Sony can be set up to record mini DV that is compatible with your GL2. DVCAM records 40 minutes to a 60 minute mini DV tape (tape moves faster, more inches per second). When played back at a slower inches per second, you get the problems you describe.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders