GL2 Warranty at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 8th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #1
Registration incomplete-contact admin.

GL2 Warranty

Can anyone out there suggest a good place for me to purchase a warranty for my 2 month old Gl2? Should I just buy one from Canon, or should I shop around for one. And if my Gl2 needs repairs and I have to send it out, will they give me a loaner?
R.J. Paradee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Most problems will appear within the Canon warranty period. Extended warranties (really maintenance agreements) are not offered by Canon, and in most cases are a waste of money. A few people make out, if they remember they have them. About 70% of the price of the extended agreement is profit. Worth buying only if you can afford the agreement, but cannot affort to pay for a repair if needed.

That said, check with the store from which you bought the GL2.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:07 AM   #3

Warranty for GL2

Thanks Don, I thought as much. Paranoia will destroya..
R.J. Paradee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 09:38 AM   #4
Major Player

With most items I might agree but as my GL1 has been in at Canon's repair shop for two months I think the amount spent on the extended warranty might be well worth it. I still don't know what all they have had to replace but whatever they did the first time didn't fix the problem. I suspect it may come back with a new CCD block (hot pixel), new tape transport mechanism and possibly new internal zoom mechanics. Any one of those repairs would be more than the cost of the warranty.

None of these problems really showed up until the camera was a year and a half old. The hot pixel MIGHT have always been there but I had never shot in the proper set of conditions to see it before.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #5

gl2 warranty

thanks jeff....appreciate the different slant. Love this board! You
all are great.
R.J. Paradee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders