DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   I can buy a display model GL 1 $1300 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/8631-i-can-buy-display-model-gl-1-1300-a.html)

Kris Zimbelman April 14th, 2003 01:54 PM

I can buy a display model GL 1 $1300

It has no battery or any other accessory. It's just the camera. This sounds like too much to me. What price what they have to drop it too in order for you to say "I'll take it no matter what", even if you didn't need it.

Chris Hurd April 14th, 2003 03:44 PM

With nothing else included, that is, power adapter, battery, remote, etc., I would have to say it needs to be down around $1000 before it can be seriously considered... plus it'll need a trip to Canon service, just like any other not-new-in-the-box purchase. Hope this helps,

Frank Granovski April 14th, 2003 03:54 PM

Kris, you already have 2 Sony cams, one VX, right? I wouldn't consider a GL1, unless it was a steal of a deal. Now a GL2..., that's another story, and I'd kill for one of those---well, almost.

Chris Hurd April 14th, 2003 04:38 PM

Frank makes a great point... my advice is, if you're already into Sony by a pair of VX2K's, you should definitely stick with Sony. The Canon GL1 will not match these cameras at all.

Kris Zimbelman April 14th, 2003 10:56 PM

My problem is I keep going in to ultimate electronics. They have a bargain bin where things are 50% off and then they're marked down another 50% off. I don't think this camcorder will ever go that low, but if they stick it out there for $650 I will have to snatch it up. Is there a 12-step group called "electronics anonymous" :-)

Dylan Couper April 15th, 2003 01:04 AM

The first step is admitting you have a problem. :)

I'm with Chris and Frank. Don't buy it if you already have 2 Sonys. You will cause yourself more headaches in the long run trying to match the pictures.

Chris Hurd April 15th, 2003 06:59 AM

Ultimate is also a Sony dealer. They didn't have any for you? Even a cut-rate TRV you can use as a deck?

Steve Nunez April 15th, 2003 02:24 PM

Electronics Anonymous

Sign me up- i'm an addict!!!

Trying to find a Canon EOS 10D and can't find a single unit for sale- going through withdrawl right now!!!

Chris Hurd April 16th, 2003 06:56 AM

Steve... try our sponsor Zotz Digital for the Canon EOS-10D. If he's out of stock, try Gateway Computer and Dell Computer, as they are both authorized Canon dealers as well and have their own allotments of the EOS-10D. Good luck,

Kris Zimbelman April 16th, 2003 05:37 PM

Chris,
I bought an open box VX 2000 from ultimate universe a month ago with a five-year warranty for $1650. I'm using my two-year old Sony TRV 20 as an editing deck. I've seriously addicted to electronics. I've been collecting catalogs for stereo equipment since 1970! If you need to know how many watts RMS a 1977 pioneer SX-1250 has, I can tell you. If I can buy this GL-1 for $900 or less, I will buy it. I'm sure we'll be able to find some used for it in a two camera shoot.

Frank Granovski April 16th, 2003 06:54 PM

What happened to football, Kris?