DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Gl2-expensive issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/87611-gl2-expensive-issues.html)

Tim Agnew February 26th, 2007 03:36 PM

Gl2-expensive issues

Sent my Gl2 to cannon after having problems with what I thought were the heads, only to be informed today that it is a "electrical board" crash and will cost $1,000 to fix. What shocks me is I have only used this camera on one shoot and it is only two years old. Has anyone had problems with the Gl2? I have no choice but to fix it.

Graham Bernard February 26th, 2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Agnew
Sent my Gl2 to cannon after having problems with what I thought were the heads, only to be informed today that it is a "electrical board" crash and will cost $1,000 to fix. What shocks me is I have only used this camera on one shoot and it is only two years old. Has anyone had problems with the Gl2? I have no choice but to fix it.

How could you have a 2 year old camera and only have used it on 1 shoot?

I've got 2 XM2s and about 400 60miniDV tapes.

I've not heard of a board blow?

Has somebody else owned/used the camera? Are you the first and only owner?

Dale Guthormsen February 26th, 2007 10:38 PM

The only readily fashion to destroy a board is to have it hit by an electrical charge, even static could do it. you could also have the problem if it managed to get wet inside. Usually water inside means buy a new camera.
its a pretty expensive camera to use once ever couple years. Perhaps buy a more economical one.
As in all electronics, once you start having electronics issues they seem to get worse as time passes by.

Dmitry Yun February 26th, 2007 11:25 PM

interested?

Hey are you interested in buying a new Gl2 instead of getting this one fixed. I have a package I want to get rid off, I don't know if it's legal to post an ebay add but here it is (please don't ban me) :) : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3267&rd=1&rd=1

Tim Agnew February 27th, 2007 08:34 AM

Dale:

no, I'm not aware that any of those things happened-I've been very careful with it other than forgetting to clean the heads. I did change tapes from Sony to Panasonic. And I did not mean to imply I've only used the camera "once;" I've used it many times on small projects but just recently on an imortant shoot. I'm not in the business but we do all in-house video for my company. I believe I'm sunk and have to repair it-
I have seen other posts here of the same issue, though. Many circuit board failures. Hmmm?

Michael Connor February 27th, 2007 11:04 AM

i think you have just been unlucky. some damp must of got on the board somehow, or maybee yours was a rogue model, i have not had any problems yet... and dread the day! Your XM is a good camera, dont let the devil get u down!

Tim Agnew February 27th, 2007 07:17 PM

Now I know: condensation. I live in Fl so the hummidity is intense. Had the Gl2 with me on the west coast in Aug and recall getting the message that there was condensation. Got to be more careful. thanks

Michael Connor February 28th, 2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Agnew (Post 633124)
Now I know: condensation. I live in Fl so the hummidity is intense. Had the Gl2 with me on the west coast in Aug and recall getting the message that there was condensation. Got to be more careful. thanks

advice i picked up from this site...
Silica gell, pack your camera bag with loads of it. Shoe shops may give u some for free.
Leave bag to acclimitise and get to room temp for couple of hours before opening it.
yr stuffed if u want to film the airport, or getting off plane like!

Bradley D Barber March 21st, 2007 05:25 AM

Tim,

What were the symptoms? I had a "fatal" problem that I posted here last year with my GL-2, but the whole catastrophic failure was only a disconected ribbon to the board. Not to say Cannon is pulling yourleg but I would be interested to know wha the symptoms were!

Thanks

Tim Agnew March 21st, 2007 05:58 PM

First, I noticed some blank tapes after recording, along with grey bars over footage. Then, the LCD would not show any footage, just blue screen. I'm fortunate that I got through this past shoot with no problems before it went out. In my case, there was definitely condensation.