gl2 noise compared with xl1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 18th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #1
New Boot

gl2 noise compared with xl1?

Hey all. I recently shot a wedding using both my gl2, and my boss' xl1. Everything looked like it worked out pretty good in the editing bay, but when I rendered out and burned a dvd, all of the shots taken with the gl2 had a lot of noise in them. The xl1, as expected, looked great, but I was disapointed in the performance of the newly purchased gl2. Is there something I am doing wrong? Or, has anyone else experienced this sort of problem. Thanks
Jesse Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Jesse,
(I am assuming that you refer to VISUAL noise rather than audio noise?)

All anyone can do is speculate. I'll take a swing.

Weddings = crappy, uncontrolled lighting
XL1 = 1/3" CCD
GL2 = 1/4" CCD

Possible diagnosis: GL2 was set to Auto Gain and gained-up on dim scenes.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

This would depend *entirely* on what settings were used for each camera, Jesse. You would have to provide some significant details about how these cameras were used, what modes they were in, what were the various settings on each cam for gain, shutter, exposure, etc. in order to get any kind of useable feedback. There are a lot of adjustments on both cameras and it would be very easy to make one look noisier than the other. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #4
Trustee

Jesse,

The gl2 will exhibit more noise as the gain is turned up than the xl1s does at the same gain level. However the image is still noticeably more detailed in lower light levels due to the gl2 chip's higher resolution. I've found that if the noise is distracting, turning down the sharpness 1-2 notches negates the increased noise, and will give you a look similar to the xl1s.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #5
Major Player

How does one turn down the sharpness 1-2 notches? I can not figure it out.

Thanks for the help.
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 09:43 AM   #6
Major Player

If you want to compare both cams w.r.t. their initial noise performance, cover the lens, set a e.g. 12 db gain, record the noise on tape. Change the tape to the other cam , and record again. Compare the noise levels on yr monitor. This gives you together with the lowest F-number, a clean noise comparison, excluding the many tricks consumer cam manufacturers apply.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #7
Trustee

Aaron

The sharpness setting is under custom presets in the camera menu. After making the adjustment, close out the menu, and hit the custom preset button..a "cp" icon should appear in the viewfinder...

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Thank You.
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks!

Allright, thanks a lot guys. I talked to my boss, and I think that our biggest discrepancy was the gain issue. I will try some of the things that you suggested, and again, I appreciate your input.

Jesse
Jesse Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders