DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   30p or 60i for the web, dvd? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/88268-30p-60i-web-dvd.html)

Jaser Stockert March 6th, 2007 08:12 AM

30p or 60i for the web, dvd?

hi, was wondering what shooting mode is best if the final video is to be shown on the web and also on dvd? thanks!

Philippe Messier March 6th, 2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaser Stockert (Post 636846)
hi, was wondering what shooting mode is best if the final video is to be shown on the web and also on dvd? thanks!

30p will give you a look that is not quite the 'reality look' of 60i (look at the news...) and not quite the 'film look' of 24p (basically all movies...). I just made a small documentary with this mode (call 'frame' for the GL2) and it really give a specific feel that i personnaly like. You need to be careful when you are doing pans and movements though... (could be strobby).

As for DVD or web... 30p will work better for the web because it's not interlaced (computer screen are progressive or LCD). DVD will be fine also with 30p since the 'progressive' will be 'place' into a 60i stream, thus, you will also maintain the look of 30p.

Beware though that the 30p mode on the GL2 lose resolution... it's not a big deal but it's noticeable, more so on a big screen. But then again, it would still look good for SD footage.

Phil

Benjamin Hill March 6th, 2007 10:15 AM

Jaser,

"Frame mode" is not technically 30P because it is not progressively scanned, but rather deinterlaced, hence the loss of resolution Philippe is referring to. It looks pretty decent but won't be the same result as 30P on the DVX or XL2...

You should also make the decision to shoot 60i or Frame mode depending on what is appropriate for that kind of video you're making-i.e., commercial, corporate, narrative, sports, etc.

As Phillipe pointed out Frame mode would be better for web because of the interlacing issue as. If you don't want to lose any resolution, one option would shoot be to shoot 60i so your DVD will be nice and full-res, and use a good deinterlacer in post to optimize it for web. If you search the forum you can find good strategies on this.

Jaser Stockert March 6th, 2007 11:02 AM

thanks for the feedback. i'm aware of frame mode and its loss of resolution. this is mainly for interiors of homes where there will be a lot of slow panning and zooms. was thinking of frame mode to avoid deinterlacing for the web and dvd or shoot 60i then deinterlace in post. but then again, 60i will give me smoother pans. so i'm deciding what's best for my situation. bottom line, home tours to be shown on client's website and distributed on dvd. thanks again!

Robert M Wright March 6th, 2007 12:39 PM

What resolution will you be displaying at on the web?

Benjamin Hill March 6th, 2007 04:39 PM

I think 60i is very appropriate for that use and will give you optimal resolution out of the GL-2's small CCDs.