On Board Lighting Suggestions for GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 16th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Tourist

On Board Lighting Suggestions for GL2?

Good evening, everyone!

I have been trying to find an on-board light to use with my Canon GL2 for weddings and indoor events. I have searched the web for days and have read many articles, but to this day, I am totally at a loss.

Does anyone have a suggestion or two for a good on-board light for a Canon GL2?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Spires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #2
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Spires View Post
I have searched the web for days and have read many articles, but to this day, I am totally at a loss.
Why? And yes we HAVE spoken about this often. Why are you lost? What is it that you haven't unearthed?

Quote:
* VL3 - I have the Canon VL-3 light. Unless you are within 2-3 feet it is dull without upping the gain. 3 watts of sheer frustration! But it is driven by your on-board battery. But it uses up the top clamp!

. . moving along . .

* PAG-Light C6 Kit - 20 watts of 5-6 feet without gain. Better but relies on the large battery pack. I've now got 2 battery packs to assist.

* PAG 50watt - Here i was fortunate enough to "bag" this puppy for 1/2-price off of ebay. I had previously built a 12 volt lead acid shoulder bag. I plug the lamp in and I get 8>10 feet for a reasonable amount of time.

Bottom line here is that we have to accept we DO have a 1/4 CCCD array. That is small compared to the SONY 170 and so on. We just don;t have the chip real estate to gather the light coming in. Sooooo... it is gonna be more gain or more watts and/or a combination of both.

Now you really ARE confused? I do hope not.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #3
New Boot

On Board LED Lamps?

Has anyone had any luck finding on board lamps that use the superbright LEDs? They seem to be making a big hit in the home lighting/flashlight market, so I would imagine in a field that needs high intensity, low-wattage lighting, they would be ideal.

Feedback?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Good evening, everyone!

I have been trying to find an on-board light to use with my Canon GL2 for weddings and indoor events. I have searched the web for days and have read many articles, but to this day, I am totally at a loss.

Thanks,
Steve
I'm using NRG lights on my GL-2 for weddings. I've got 2 Mite-Lites in the kit, (one as back-up) and a Varalux Pro for those really dark holes. I've got 3 battery packs/belts (of different capacities) to power them all.

Look at the NRG site for specs. http://www.nrgresearch.com/

Looking back, the only thing I might do differently is NOT get the versions with a cigar lighter connection. The Mite-Lite's plugs have to be rewired every now and then because of this type of connection. (another reason why I keep a spare light handy)

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders