My first short. Shot on a GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM   #1
New Boot

My first short. Shot on a GL2

Hello all. I've been reading lots of posts of completed projects and read many good comments so I thought I'd give it a try. Here's my first post & experiment in filmmaking. It's a 6 minute short entitled the news. I learned so much from everyone on DVinfo for this project. All comments and criticisms welcome. Hope you enjoy. Thanks. Bao

http://web.mac.com/bao.q.nguyen/iWeb...yen/Movie.html
Bao Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Bao,

It looked very solid as a first short. The only thing really bothering me was the faint idea I had that you never went up close. And I mean really up close. The closest shots were at shoulder-height and I as a viewer, regretted that I never got closer. Not only counts for persons and thus emotion, but could also be interresting for objects (such as e.g. the fluffy bear) too. Maybe you made some of those shots but edited them out in post, I can not know. When I shoot DV however, I like to take such small close shots along the way to make cutting more valuable and keep options open. But I'm just an aspiring editor-student, so (as always) I could be wrong. :p

Greetz,

Merlin

Last edited by Merlin Vandenbossche; March 22nd, 2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo :x
Merlin Vandenbossche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM   #3
New Boot

Close ups.

Thanks for your response Merlin. You're right about getting the close ups. I wish I would have grabbed a few. That would have given me a few options while editing. The little bear was shown in the beginning and was supposed to show up again in the end, but I didn't get the shots I needed. As the camera guy, the sound guy, lighting guy and trying to give directions I could only remember so much. One thing I learned is that I need help. Like you, I'm learning as well and hopefully my next will be better. Thanks for your advice. Bao
Bao Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Tourist

Great Short - Couple of questions

Hi Bao,

Great short! Just a couple of questions as I will be shooting a short soon myself.

What kind of Audio equipment did you use?

Did you shoot in normal or frame mode?

Great job!!
Regan Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Regan,
You can read all the technical details here (or just go back to the movie page and click on the link to the production photos and storyboards):

http://web.mac.com/bao.q.nguyen/iWeb...20Details.html

P.S. It was all shot in frame mode.
Bao Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders