GL1 vs. GL2 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 4th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #61
Regular Crew

I love my GL2 works great outdoors I made a camo cover to use with it, I hate the silver body but would not think twice about buying another
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #62
Inner Circle

gl2

Chad,

The gl2 allows you to adjust both audio chanels, which I have heard the gl1 does not do.
I film wildlife and hunting on a near daily basis 6 to 9 months a year. If you are going to not rely on actual in the field audio I would not worry to much about it but I find myself adjusting audio every time I am out. I would also invest in a good mic.
Just a thought, if you got a gl1 you could do a fair amount of adio work post production.

Gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #63
Regular Crew

Hi Chad,
I bought my GL-2 for the same type of things as you want to do, the 20x zoom was the decider otherwise I would have gone for something else. It will do all you need of it, there are heaps of commercial hunting videos out there shot on GL-2s.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #64
New Boot

GL2 / GL1 Questions

Okay, so I am doing my second wedding this Friday. This one is on the beach near the lighthouse, about 4pm. I was thinking of taking the GL1 onto the beach for some shots of the Bride and Groom holding hands walking on beach, splashing etc. My question is, is the GL1 an inferior camera to the GL2? Or should I always use the GL2 over the GL1, and just keep the GL1 as a backup cam on tripod?
Rich Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #65
Major Player

Rich, for my 2 cents, I shot with both the GL2 and the GL1 many, many hours, lots outdoors, and including several weddings.

In my opinion, anyone but the most experienced, seasoned digital video experts won't be able to tell the difference between those two cameras. But the GL2 probably has some subtle improvements, so if it makes no difference to you, why not use the newer camera?
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #66
Trustee

Also agree. I have owned both. No one but someone who has shot with both could tell the difference in the final project.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #67
New Boot

ok

Thanks guys- I took both cameras to the beach today to do some test shots. Both footage looks equal, so Im happy. I tell you, the shots done in Frame mode are so nice. I guess it's obvious to shoot both cams in Frame mode for wedding? Ill probably do all the outside filming in Frame, and for the reception (possible low light issues) do you think it would be wise to film in Normal to capture more fields of information?
Rich Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #68
Major Player

Just my 2 cents again, but I'd shoot "Normal" interlaced video for everything in a wedding. When I first got a GL2 I in 2003 was so smitten with the film-look of Frame mode that I shot everything that way, and later learned that not everything works in that look because it gives it a very different feel. Some clients are not expecting that Frame look, either. I think most wedding video customers expect the "Normal" 60i look.

Plus, if you shoot Normal you can always deinterlace later to make it look frame, if you need, whereas you can't get that 60i look back again if you shoot Frame mode. And maybe I'm wrong, but I believe Frame mode reduces resolution. Again, just my opinion- happy shooting.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #69
Regular Crew

GL1 Vs GL2 for action sports

ok, this is my first post although i have been browsing and looking for a while
i would just like to say that i'm pleased to find such a nice message board where i've found absolutely no "hating on" and where everyone is nice and helpful to everyone else

I'm a 16 year old in Orlando FL, i got a zr100 for christmas last year, and in the past 4-6 months have been recently getting into filming and editing.

I probably don't have a lot of money (1,500 at the most) i'll be shooting rollerblading films and films for school, i'm looking on Ebay to buy a GL1 or GL2 I'm thinking a GL2 would be the best choice because they just stopped making it, while the GL1 they stopped making a while ago.

But any help deciding this would be much appreciated, any other suggestions (i have also been looking at the Sony VX2100 because my friend has one)
any suggestions are welcome, as well as any advice.
Thanks.
Shawn Yelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 04:06 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Also i would like to say
Sorry if i am already posting a question that has been asked. I couldn't find a thread exactly like mine...
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:47 AM   #71
Wrangler

I've not heard that the GL2 is no longer made. Canon still lists it as a standard definition product on their website, with the $250 rebate good to January 2007.

Other things being equal, the GL2 is the better camcorder. However, if you are talking used gear, it becomes a bit more complicated because the history and condition of the camcorder come into play. That is to say, a good GL1 will probably give you better service than a beat-up GL2.

Also, a GL2 has on the order of 7+ years of assured factory support remaining, while the GL1 has on the order of 3 or so years remaining.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki
I've not heard that the GL2 is no longer made. Canon still lists it as a standard definition product on their website, with the $250 rebate good to January 2007.

Hmm, weird, a few days ago the 250$ rebate was expired, i guess canon decided to put another one on!

the new one says Oct 1st 2006 to jan 27th of 2007

Also, if i could maybe convince my grandparents (whom i live with) to get me a brand new one from say, B&H, should i? i'm sure i could say something like "i'll work for you" or maybe "i just wont get anything next christmas?" - haha

but yes, i'm more than likely going to buy off ebay, a used GL2. i will inspect the pictures the seller provides, very carefully to see if anything not listed is maybe wrong with the camera,

Thanks for the help Don!
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #73
Regular Crew

I think that i've decided to go with the Sony VX2100 brand new from B&H photo.
Theres just too many problems with the GL2 that happen very often (zoom problem, tape problem)

while very few with the vx.
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #74
Tourist

GL2 features not on the GL1

Hey Everyone!Im new here and I tried doing a search but could not find any threads that compared the GL1 vs. the GL2 and what features are on the GL2 that arent on the GL1. I currently own a couple of GL1's and im thinking about upgrading to the GL2 or DVX100B (in which ive seen many threads that compare the two). I was wondering if you guys could help identify the features on the GL2 not present on the GL1. thanks in advance.
Yuta Motoyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #75
New Boot

one answer

TheCanon GL2 website lists all the features of the GL2 and that includes the very large manual. Since you already have the GL1 it should be easy for YOU to make the comparison.
Bob Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders