Widescreen cut off problems. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Widescreen cut off problems.

hey, sorry for posting all these questions, i just couldnt find any forums until i found this one so i had been accumulating questions and problems.

but anywho.

I have a huge problem..again...

I just recorded some footage and when i try to put on the wide screen in post, it cust off some of the actors face...all that is visible is his mouth down, but he is pushing a grocery cart in a store and i was just wondering if this was a big deal...The rest of the shots are good in e screen, its just the first couple of seconds....

Does widescreen make the film more cinematic? Will it be cinematic even if I don't use widescreen? And is it bad to have one scene in widescreen and the next not in wide screen?

Thnx,
Tatsuya Graham
Tatsuya Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

First, it's hard to say if you should use the footage or not without actually seeing it. If your gut instinct says it doesn't look good, though, you better listen to it.

Second, are you using the 16x9 feature in the GL2, or are you shooting in 4x3 and just adding widescreen bars in post? If you're adding bars in post, then you should go into the menu and to display and turn the 16x9 guides on, as it will help you with framing your shots.

Third, widescreen does come across as more cinematic to a viewer in my opinion.

Finally, I would NOT mix widescreen and 4x3 in the same project. That would definitely not look right.

Hope that helps . . .
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thank you

Thanks, your opinion helped. I probably wont put it in widescreen

Thnx, tatsuya graham
Tatsuya Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders