DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Problem with GL-1 LCD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/9134-problem-gl-1-lcd.html)

Glen Elliott April 30th, 2003 07:49 AM

Problem with GL-1 LCD

A few times while shooting my LCD went black. I checked the footage and everything recorded fine but was a little disturbe about it malfunctioning like that. It's only done it once to me, and a few times when powering up the camera and opening the LCD it doesn't initially turn on. I had to flip it 360 degrees and flip it back to get a picture.
Now I read on some other forums of people having this problem on the GL-1 so I checked my Canon and Mack (extended) warranties and they both say they don't cover LCDs. What's the deal with that?! If that many people are encountering the same problem wouldn't it be a factory defect?!

Anyone else have this problem?

Marco Leavitt April 30th, 2003 09:39 AM

I have this problem as well. It's more of a minor nuisance though. It's never failed to turn on after being rotated 180 degrees. Not covered under warrenty though? That sucks!

Rick Foxx April 30th, 2003 09:47 AM

My GL1 did this after about 3 months. I sent it in for warranty service and they replaced the transformer. Then about 6 months out of warranty, the screen died again. Since I only use the GL1 as a backup camera, I haven't paid the money to fix it. The bad screen and the two hot pixels have completely turned me off to Canon camera, and I'll never buy another.

Good luck,

Rick Foxx
Photographic Memories

Glen Elliott April 30th, 2003 10:59 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Marco Leavitt : I have this problem as well. It's more of a minor nuisance though. It's never failed to turn on after being rotated 180 degrees. Not covered under warrenty though? That sucks! -->>>

Yeah when I opened the lcd it didn't turn on- after I turned it 180 degrees it magically turned on and I was able to rotate it back and start using it.
See it wouldn't be that big of a deal but the evf on the gl-1 is so tiny it's a pain to compose shots in it. Despite the fact the lcd is small it's so much more handy to work on shot composition without having your face pressed up against the eye cup! lol

It sounds like there may be two separate problem oooor one problem that progresses into another. Because some people are like us and have it go out from time to time and others have it die completely. The thing that angers me most is how Canon doesn't cover the LCD. Who do they think they are?!! Oh well thats why I'm getting the DVX100. :) The GL-1 will be back-up....oooor fodder for E-bay.

I've also heard about the hot pixels but I haven't noticed them in my footage yet...thank gosh. I have, however, noticed a few hot pixels in the evf but according to the manual that is "normal"!?....