Why New Cam Drop-Outs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 30th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Why New Cam Drop-Outs?

Bought my GL-2 new last November and I'm just getting out now for testing. However, each time I playback tape I have at least one audio drop-out and a pixelated frame. I've used nothing but Sony Premium tape (DVM60PRL or DVM60PR2) since day one. Any ideas why a new camera has this problem? I need to gain confidence in the camera's perfomance since weddings start next month.
Thanks for any help,
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I found that with a brand spankin' new cam, you can get dropouts in the first tape or so, so, clean the heads. However, after cleaning your heads you might want to switch to Fuji miniDV.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I assume that (a) the camera is factory-new and, (b) that the tapes you're using are reasonably new and not on their 10th lives.

If that's the case, you should contact Canon service. It's not normal. If you send the camera to Canon be sure to send a sample tape along with it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

normal or not

I also had dropouts with my brand-new GL2 and I did a 5 second cleaning tape run and all has been just fine since, so I'd at least try that as a simple step to take before looking toward Canon support. Anytime you have dropouts like that the first thing to try is a quick cleaning tape. Even multiple passes (after a momentary rest), like canon recommends might be needed, but if the problem continues after 3 or four attempts to use a cleaning tape, THEN I would contact Canon to have it cleaned professionally.
Old April 30th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #5
High School Student

Strange, you guys have using these much more expensive cameras and having problems. I have just a Panasonic DV52 ($400) and I've recorded over some Fuji tapes atleast 6 times, and never got a dropout, ever...hopefully I don't either... *knocks on wood* :)
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Alex, 99% of the time heads get clogged/drop-outs because of the tape. That's been my experience. However, from reading people's complaints over the years, with buying a new cam, leads me to believe that a new cam may experience this with the first tape.
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Since we're talking about a new camera, I was wondering if any of you knew what testing they do at the factory before releasing for sale. Are they running a tape over the heads so that there may be some residue?
Bob
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:45 AM   #8
Major Player

I thought there was something in the manual stating you should use a tape cleaner as soon as the first 24 hours of use?
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:04 AM   #9
Major Player

Actually, the manual states that the heads should be cleaned after 20 hours of use.
Bob
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:56 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

My own firm recommendation is: run a head cleaner (never for more than 5 seconds at any time) on these occasions:

1. Upon opening a brand new camcorder, fresh out of the box, *before* recording that first tape.

2. Periodically about every 20 hours of recording time.

Send the camcorder in for professional cleaning at the manufacturer's service center on these occasions:

1. Once per year of occasional light-duty use,

2. Twice per year of frequent heavy-duty use.

I would consider the charges incurred for professional cleaning to be part of the normal operating costs of the camcorder. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:23 AM   #11
New Boot

It's probably the tape

Bob,

I just purchased a GL2 from Brian at Zotz digital and he gave me some insight into different tapes. Basically, it's only recommended that you use Panasonic tapes in the GL2, more specifically, the Panasonic 63PQ.

It turns out that Panasonic manufactures tapes for Panasonic, JVC and Canon. They use what's called a "dry lube" process on the tapes, vs. the Sony tapes which use a "wet lube" process. I've read about this before and Brian confirmed it for me.

You might want to try cleaning the heads and then using only Panasonic tapes in the camera, should clear up your problems.

Michael
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:33 PM   #12
Regular Crew

What about fuji tapes? Dry or Wet???
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:40 PM   #13
New Boot

I believe that all tapes other than Panasonic use the "wet lube" process during manufacture, but I can't be 100% sure as info regarding this is difficult to find. I'm currently trying to contact someone at the Panasonic factory to see if they have any white papers, etc. which detail the processes involved.

Michael
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:53 PM   #14
Outer Circle

Fuji is dry.

One of the links I have here,
http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
has a list of tapes which says if they're dry or wet. It's not a complete list, though.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:07 PM   #15
New Boot

Unbelievable!! So the Panasonic tape that was recommended to me as "dry" is, in fact, WET!

Man, my head hurts! :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders