Wirless mic system for GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 28th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wirless mic system for GL2

I don't know much about microphone systems at all. But how would I go about setting up a wireless mic system for the GL2? Would I need the accessory shoe, etc? Is it even possible with this camera? Thanks.

-Ryan
Ryan Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Major Player

As long as the camera has a mic in port, a wireless mic system can be plugged into it. Most recievers are attached to the shoe, although I don't know of any that use Canon's hot shoe specifically for power and audio. It really depends what you want from your system, but the Sennheiser G2 is a good place to start.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Thomas View Post
... how would I go about setting up a wireless mic system for the GL2? Would I need the accessory shoe, etc? Is it even possible with this camera? ...
Answers in reverse order...

Is it possible - Yes (and easy, too!)

Do you need the shoe - No (I'd save that spot to mount a light.)

How to go about it - Determine your wireless need(s). Determine your budget. Buy the best you can possibly afford. The instructions that come with your wireless system should explain everything else. Plug the receiver into the "mic" jack on the side of the camera.

If you need more help, just ask. There's always someone here with an answer!

Mark
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help.
I just need to confirm that the recieve will plug into the mic input on the camera. Im not that familiar with audio systems obviously, but is it a pretty good rule of thumb that most systems plug into the mic input if thats the route you want to take?Thanks.

Ryan
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Wrangler

Most system CAN be plugged in to the mic jack, but you may find that you need an adapter cable and/or an external attenuator depending on the specifics of the output capability from the wireless mic receiver you are considering and what is included with the mic.

Keep in mind that the mic jack is unbalanced stereo, and connecting to it disables the built-in mic. Depending in the cables in your wireless kit adn the receiver, you may end up with sound only on the left channel, or equal but out of phase sound on left and right channel. You will also have to match the wireless system output level with the input sensitivity of the camcorder. That boils back to the details of the system you select.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Major Player

Well said Don.

Ryan. Choose your wireless system, then come back and we (the forum) can help you figure out how to connect it. Until then, any specific answers you get may or may not apply to the system you eventually buy.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I was looking at this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html
Give me your thoughts either way. It IS the lowest-price system on BH, so it might not be the best.

Thanks a lot.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
I was looking at this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html
Give me your thoughts either way. It IS the lowest-price system on BH, so it might not be the best.

Thanks a lot.
You're right, it might not be the best, but it might be the best for you.

What do you intend to do? (Weddings, News, Movies, etc.)

Will your budget support a more expensive system? (Sennheiser, Lectrosonics, etc.)

Mark
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I will be interviewing athletes. Whats some of the pros/cons of that system, and will it work with the mic input?
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Major Player

That unit should plug straight into the mic jack on the GL-2. (Assuming it's supplied with a 1/8" mini plug on the cable.) You might have to tweak the receiver's output levels to avoid overdriving (and distorting) the audio.

For interviews, are you sure you want a lapel system instead of a handheld system? Samson makes a wireless system that offers both. Plus, Samson also offer's a plug-in unit that will work with the system you've selected, that makes any handheld mic a wireless mic.

Mark
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark

Mark, your answer(s) have helped me too.
I have some of the same questions. However, I have no one to ask locally and I do have a few more questions.

I have done one wedding and plan to do more. I realize that it would be a good idea to have several mp3 (iRiver) recorders or maybe some other small digital voice recorders with lapel mikes to record the groom,bride, minister, and any other(s) who might be making presentations. Also during the reception ..... same thing. Suggestions, please.

Where's the best place to have the UHF wireless mike ?? (and why??) Just curious. Would there be a need for a handheld ??

Regards, Tom B. Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #12
Major Player

Tom,

Welcome to the always changing, yet always the same, interesting world of wedding videography!

I'll try to answer your questions as directly as possible.

I place my wireless lav on the left lapel of the groom's jacket, just below the flower. I find that with an omnidirectional lav mic, I get pretty good coverage of the vows from both the bride and groom, and I get coverage of the officiant as well.

For me and my customer base, there's no need for a handheld during the ceremony.

(Sorry, not trying to play it close to the vest, just don't have much time today.)

Mark
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Would getting the MA 300 adapter to use with that mic system (Samson) be a lot better?
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Would getting the MA 300 adapter to use with that mic system (Samson) be a lot better?
If you're only using one wireless mic, and that mic has a cable that allows you to plug it into the 'mic' jack on the camera, I don't see why you'd need the MA300. If you wanted to split out the left and right channels, and/or needed XLR connections, then the MA300 is one of several ways to go. From what you've described so far, I don't think you need it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders