35mm adapters with GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

35mm adapters with GL2?

What is the best 35mm adapter to use with the GL2? Does anybody have any experiance with these adapters or know where I can find some sample footage? And whats with the letus website, they arn't taking orders at this time?
Bryce Olejniczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Major Player

I shot a bridal video with a homemade 35mm adapter on a GL-2. It's a big file, but it gives you an idea. It can be found here: www.ov35.com
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #3
Old Boot

Mike? Do you want to fill in some more detail in the construction and operation of that beast? I'm very interested in just exactly what you connected together?

Best regards

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yea, that looks good...

I started assembling my own 35mm adapter, it's done, besides that I'm having a hard time finding a macro lens to focus on the ground glass. So I haven't been able to even test it yet with my camera. What focusing lens did you use for your adapter?
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Trustee

On the website in my signature the "One Headlight" video was shot on a GL2 with a homemade 35mm adapter. It was a great camera, but I've since upgraded to an FX1.
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nice, that looked awesome... What did you build it out of, or, what did you use for your focusing lens?
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Mike? Do you want to fill in some more detail in the construction and operation of that beast? I'm very interested in just exactly what you connected together?

Best regards

Grazie
Sure thing. I used some macro extension tubes (rather cheap, I think about $10 each) as the main body of the tube. These were nice because they had the proper diameter and they also had Nikon f-mount at the end of one of the tubes.

After I had determined the proper length I would need (had to use two tubes to accommodate the optical elements) I mounted an achromat at the end closest to the camcorder lens. Then I placed a Nikon D screen in between two UV filters (to help eliminate dust on the screen itself) and mounted that at the proper distance from the f-mount. That's about it. If you'd like some more details I can show you where I got my components. Total cost (without any 35mm lenses) was about $120 or $150, somewhere in there.

I would also like to point out that Ben has quite a bit more experience in this than I do, so he is an incredible resource to tap as well. I'll help where I can, but there are others that know far more than I do.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders