Tape question - mixing Panny tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 14th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Tape question - mixing Panny tapes

Have any of you mixed Panasonic MQ and PQ tapes in either your GL2 or GL1? Any bad results?

I have seen different opinions as to whether these tapes use the same lube or not. You'd think that being from the same company they would but you never know. I've been using MQ tapes but would rather drop down to PQ if possible. I don't want to have to think to clean heads every time though, especially when it comes to editing.

Thanks.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 12:29 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jeff,
I do this "mix" routinely and have never encoutered a problem.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Ken. I've also now heard from the folks at Tape Resources who talked to the Panasonic reps who say they use the same lube.

So, I have no idea where the information came from that was being posted on rec-video.production warning against the white tapes with blue doors came from.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:04 PM   #4

There's a tremendous amount of folklore surrounding tapes. Frankly, I think most of us are unsure about the lubrication issues. So, like primitive tribal customs formed by ignorance and "what works", we soak up anecdotal stories and we just stay with something that works for us.

Thanks very much for passing along the Tape Resources information. It helps add to our ever-growing base of knowledge on the subject.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old May 15th, 2003, 01:37 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Jeff, I have some good links and experiences posted here, along with an internal memo about the mixing of tape from TDK or Maxell---can't recall at the moment:

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ken,
I am reasured by your comments since I've committed to using and mixing the Panasonic MQ and PQ series tapes with my new GL2. Having read comments by you and others on this board about the quality of these tapes, I decided to make them my GL2's "official" tapes and ordered a bunch from a board sponsor at very good price.

Thanks to all on this board who have stressed the importance of sticking with on brand of tapes to minimize the risk of camera malfunction.

Val Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am new to prosumer video production. I just bought a GL2 a couple of weeks ago and have been having quite a good time with it. It's a great cam!

As I am new to this stuff, I really don't know what you guys are talking about with regard to mixing tapes. I didn't think it made much difference what kind of tape you use, but I have a feeling this is an important topic.

Can someone please fill me in. So far I have been using TDK and Fuji tapes.
Alex Geschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #8

Alex,
Welcome to the GL2! Indeed, it's a bad idea to mix tape brands. Variations in lubrication, etc. can gum-up your heads.

Our slogan: Pick an' Stick

Old May 18th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Here's another link about cleaning tapes:

http://multimedian.com/pcv/school/camcare.html
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Ken.

Since I need to stick with one tape, which one do you suggest? Is TDK good enough quality? I can pick them up quick and cheap at Costco, but if it is worth switching to a different brand I'll happily go out of my way.

Alex
Alex Geschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:38 PM   #11

Panasonic is my brand of choice. Sony would be my 2nd choice. Many report that Fuji is also a good brand.

TDK and Maxell, commonly found at computer and photo shops, tend to be the brands that folks report problems with.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders