Camera Bag for GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 20th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Bag for GL2

I just ordered a Kata case online for my new GL2. I wish I had examined this thing in person first, it's a worthless piece of crap. There is absolutely no padding.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a carrying case under $200? Even though it is probably best, I don't want to haul around a hard case.
Alex Geschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:37 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Well, I don't know anything about this Kata bag---never even seen one. Depending on how much room you want in a bag, let me suggest the Lowepro Nova 4, 5, or 6. I have the Nova 5, and it's well padded. It even comes with a lifetime warranty. But I have so much stuff that I wished I would have went for 1 size larger, the Lowepro Nova 6. Mind you, I've got 3 cams plus lenses and stuff stuffed in there!

The Nova 5 cost me just under $80 Canadian. That would be around $60 US Dollars.

http://www.lowepro.com
http://www.lowepro.ca
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll check it out.

The Kata brand was included on the GL2 accessories section of Canon's web site. I suggest that they not continue to endorse this product.
Alex Geschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:04 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

This thread and this thread may give you some guidance.

In my opinion, if you want a very good bag for your GL2, spend the extra for a Porta Brace. Most everything else will be "crap" by comparison.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:56 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Yes, the Porta Brace is nice also---it has about the same kind of padding as the Nova Series. The Porta Brace, from what I recall, is even larger than the Nova 6, and 3X the price.
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:09 AM   #6

Nope, they're not that expensive. You can get a Porta Brace CS-DV3 case (GL1/GL2/PD150) for less than $200.

Lowe makes good, reasonably-priced cases with still photography gear in mind. I own 2 myself and like them. But Porta Brace's detailing really targets video cameras and accessories.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old May 21st, 2003, 01:17 AM   #7
Outer Circle

A Nova 6 costs just under $90 Canadian; a Porta Brace costs at least $269 Canadian---last time I checked.
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:23 AM   #8

Ah, indeed, you're right Frank. But Alex has a budget of $200.

Old May 21st, 2003, 04:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

lowe pro

I use a Lowe Pro Commercial AW. It's overkill for -just- the camera. I inevetibly have my digital camera, chargers,cords, flash, tapes,microphone, etc with me so it works perfectly for me. I got mine on ebay for cheap. good camera bags wear well and are often not used heavily so I think ebay is a great place to look. There is another Lowe Pro model that is made more specifically for video cams but mine works great.
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:40 PM   #10
Outer Circle

Re: "Ah, indeed, you're right Frank. But Alex has a budget of $200."

Hehe. My way of buying is always going for the best bang for the buck. I'd buy the almost as good Lowepro, and with what I had left over, I'd buy an extra battery or something, or put it back into the bank. :)
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:00 PM   #11

Frank,
You and I would make a lovely couple. I'd be pillaging the central bank like Sadaam and you'd be beating me off with a baseball bat. (Actually, my wife is very much a kindred spirit to your philosophy.)

Old May 21st, 2003, 05:59 PM   #12
Major Player

So, Frank and Ken - what do you recommend by light hiking? I'm looking for a bag to carry my GL2 and accesories on the trail.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:58 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Stephen, I don't work for Lowepro, really. I just wanted to mention this. Now go to Lowepro's site, and look at the great hiking type protective bags they have:

http://www.lowepro.com

Ken, my wife is like you, I think. I'm always beating her back from spending money. :)
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:21 PM   #14
Major Player

my x-mas present

<<<-- Originally posted by Stephen Sobel : So, Frank and Ken - what do you recommend by light hiking? I'm looking for a bag to carry my GL2 and accesories on the trail. -->>>

http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/dryzone/dzone.htm

I use this for my GL1, and every time we hike to a location my partner is whining about why they don't make on for the XL1s <;~)

I love this bag, it is very well made and worth the $$$ IMO.
You can also carry your sticks with this pack. See me if you buy one because I made some minor modifications on the strapping system for your sticks.

I do wish that they would make this a little larger though....
I'm the kind of person who would carry 100lbs of gear on a hike just so I have everything for every potential situation.
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:54 PM   #15

I have no experience with hiking / backpack cases for gear. But here is Porta Braces version for the GL2-sized cameras. Here's their larger version.

Honest, I don't work for Porta-Brace, either! I'm just a big fan of their cases.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders