glide pro & telephoto2x - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Jeff, Steve,
Given that you are adding more glass to the equation and in general that has a detrimental effect on the captured images, have you noticed any appreciable image degradation when shooting with the teleconverter?.

Val Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 12:19 AM   #17
Regular Crew

About the Century Optics 2X bayonet mounted on the XM2:

You get a black ring on the screen when you go to the wide angle side of the zoom (around 1/3 till the end of the wide angle side).

No hood provided, yes it is threaded and very good optical quality.

Best to all.
Ignacio
Old May 24th, 2003, 05:04 AM   #18
Major Player

Hello,

I have used a Sony 1.7X converter on my PAL XM1 for two years now, without any detrimental effects to the camera, as far as I can see.

As I use the camera exclusively for bird photography, it is attached to the camera most of the time.

There is certainly vignetting at the wide end of the zoom, but there is not much point using the converter in those circumstances. If there is any image degradation it is not obvious - I never convert my material from miniDV to any other format.

Subjectively autofocus is slower to lock on, and when following a bird in flight viewed against the sky, focus is more easily lost, than without the converter. I do not think that the optical image stabilisation is anywhere near as effective as it is without the converter. I have taken to using shorter focal lengths when shooting and using the zoom filter in my DV500 editing set-up.

I use the camera on a set of Gitzo carbon fibre legs (G1127) with a Gitzo G2380 head. I cope with the front heavy problem by adding a Manfrotto Universal Sliding Plate between camera and head.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi Alan,
Do you use any filters between the lens and the Sony 1.7x teleconverter?

Val Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #20
Major Player

Flaring is not much of a problem with long lenses, unless the sun is low in the horizon in the direction you are pointing the camera. But if you are looking for an inexpensive solution to flares, take a look at the Flare Buster at http://www.flarebuster.com Originally designed to work with still cameras, it is just as effective with video cameras. Mounts to your accessory shoe, or, your tripod connection. It works especially well with wide lenses where flares really are a concern. A great gadget at a fair price.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #21
Warden

Several of the early posters mentioned that adding a 2X tele-convertor would reduce the light by 2 stops. This is incorrect. If the convertor is attached at the front of the lens, no light is lost (actually a little is lost to internal reflection etc.). If the convertor is attached between the lens and the body (like the XL1 and 35mm cameras) then light is lost relative to the magnification. One stop is lost for 1.4X and 2 stops for 2X magnification. This is due to the Inverse Square Law.

What Alex was trying to say is a 20X zoom is not the magnification, but the zoom range. A tele-convertor. would not change the zoom range because it magnifies throughout the entire range. A 2X doubles the magnification of the lens.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hello Val.

About your question the answer is yes. But I'm using the Century Optics x2.0 conveter with a Matte box for polarized filters.
Old May 25th, 2003, 12:05 AM   #23
Major Player

Hello Val Rod,

In answer to your question: I use no filters - I take the UV filter which I normally have in place (for protection as much as anything) off when I use the 1.7X converter.

I suspect that the presence of a filter would increase the vignetting, though I haven't investigated this.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:58 AM   #24
Major Player

I've noticed no image degradation. I did use a filter with the glass removed between the camera and the teleconverter for a while (to prevent corss-threading). I thought it might be throwing things off (increased vignetting, etc.) so I took it off. For various reasons I needed to get a GL2 so I just leave the lens on it and use the old GL1 for closer objects (thought I may still switch which camera I use for what).

For the front-heaviness on the tripod I'm just going to add a weight to the handle.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:00 AM   #25
Major Player

One other note. The lens cap on my teleconverter always pops off so I needed another solution. For the last year I've used Saran Quick Covers. Think of a small shower cap.....
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #26
Warden

Some TuperWare lids fit very nicely as lens caps and they don't fall off.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #27
Trustee

Imperceptable image degradtion (I can't see any)...opens up a whole new world of possibilities...worth it in every way.

Sony 1.7X Tel
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:30 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Thank you all,
for the very informative repplies. The Sony 1.7 teleconverter is in my priority shopping list. I live next to a wilderness area where there's plenty of coyotes, red shoulder and red-tailed hawks. So I can't wait to get it. I am thinking about adapting or designing a lens brace to support the teleconverter. Any ideas?

Val Rodriguez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders