canon XH A1s - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 20th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: canon XH A1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dean View Post
This is a bit off topic.....I have been using an XLH1 for the past two years recording to a Atomos Samurai Blade using tape as backup. I have never been disappointed in the results (with adequate lighting). Recently I have been using a GH4 and find the XLH1 holds up to the GH4 HD 8 bit when letting the GH4 reduce from 4K to 1080p. If I record in 4K and then down it to 1080p in Vegas/Resolve, the XLH1 footage falls a bit short. I agree the XL and XH are great cameras that can hold their own within their capabilities.
Just curious, were you using the component out, or SDI to run into your Blade?
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 04:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I still have (2) XHA1s cameras, mainly for use at performances, and weddings. Have looked at the XA25 as a replacement after trying one via CPS and realized that the AF on those is rather zippy compared to my XHA1s. I mostly use my 7D Mark II for promotional work, and everything except the ceremony when doing weddings.

For performance work, we run a firewire line into our MacBook Pros, and capture via QuickTime. Have done this for the past 4 years with no problems.

I recently tried using my BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt, going from the component out, and it works great. I can record ProRes LT now, and it has 4:2:2 color as well.

I do hope to upgrade at least one of these this year. Will be trying out the XF200 this summer. Good to see a recommendation!
Old January 20th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stembridge View Post
Just curious, were you using the component out, or SDI to run into your Blade?
Hi David,

I use the HD-SDI out of the XLH-1 to feed the SDI in of the Samurai Blade. This provides 4:2:2 8 bit 1920x1080 HD. The component out, as I understand it, will only send out 1440x1080 HDV.
Old January 21st, 2017, 11:14 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dean View Post
Hi David,

I use the HD-SDI out of the XLH-1 to feed the SDI in of the Samurai Blade. This provides 4:2:2 8 bit 1920x1080 HD. The component out, as I understand it, will only send out 1440x1080 HDV.
Thanks George, Unfortunately, my XHA1s doesn't have the SDI output. I believe my component out gives me full uncompressed HD with 4:2:2 though. Tests are looking great so far. Still have to go into my MBP via the intensity shuttle for thunderbolt; but that works for performance work.

Apparently Canon will still service them (paid) through May 2018. They don't do basic clean checks for free (under CPS) anymore. Roughly $120 after CPS discount.
Old February 18th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I love my xlh1a

Id like to use a ninja assasin to shoot slow motion frame rates. no hdmi however. is there a way to connect it up??? also pro res 422 would be an asset too plus the higher bit rate.

any ideas?
Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:16 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Id like to use a ninja assasin to shoot slow motion frame rates.
The camera only supports 60i, 30p, and 24p. What slow motion frame rates do you want to shoot?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders