DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon Optura Xi is out! (in the USA) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/13855-canon-optura-xi-out-usa.html)

Frank Granovski August 28th, 2003 04:24 PM

Canon Optura Xi is out! (in the USA)

The new Canon Optura Xi is out! Sweet. It gets a fantastic review in a Japanese Mag, according to Allan.

Alex Zabrovsky August 29th, 2003 01:10 PM

Yeah, I specifically quered Alan as about new Xi just to making final decision for GS100K. He was very rave about one and actually said for image quality in regular light it can almost approach 3xCCD perception. The cam is full featured includes meny pro things.
However, you may be really suprized as I was - Alan thinks the GS100K still beats this one for low-light !

Also, for all dreaming about PAL version of Xi (MVX3i) that will soon be available - UK prices are going to be really discouraging -
unbelieable 1500-1800 US$ equivalent !! Sounds ridiculous !

I went fro GS100K.

Alex

Frank Granovski August 29th, 2003 01:34 PM

Congrats on your new cam.

It seems like the Optura Xi is selling for $1499 in the USA. That's the same price as the PV-DV953's list price.

Alex Zabrovsky August 29th, 2003 02:01 PM

Thansk Frank, I haven't officially ordered one yet, though set up the dealw it Alan and hopefully will transfer the payment at the beginning of the next week.

Xi ? yeah, anticipated price is about 1.5k$ for NTSC in US (already well over the top), but you can foudn one for 1200 US$ - regular US model from Canon official distributor (from DVNET supporter - ZCG). But once I inquired them about PAL (MVX3i or something like that) they quoted over 1800 US$ once it will be available in September (brought from UK). This is certainly not kind of money I would be prepared to pay for this range of cameras (with several hundreds of $ extra I would be proud owner of VX2000 which is completely different league).
I said for myself, I would either get GS100K (yes, NTSC, cannot wait another half year for PAL version) or MVX3i (Xi in PAL) for similar amount of money, but now the issue is cleared.

Alex

Frank Granovski August 29th, 2003 02:09 PM

You might want to try:

http://www.cameraaction.com.au

for PAL model cams.

Alex Zabrovsky August 30th, 2003 04:19 AM

Thanks Frank.
Neither MVX3i is available yet, nor I would anticipate great price difference for one between UK and Aus. suppliers.

Regards, Alex

Don Berube August 30th, 2003 05:02 AM

Just curious, how important is low light sensitivity to you when deciding between cameras?

- don

Alex Zabrovsky August 30th, 2003 05:44 AM

T think this is among the most arguable issues discussed on video forums likes this one.
Eevryone seems to mean different evaluation points once talking about lowl-light sensitivity, thus the issue is really confusing.
For instance, I need the cam for mainly family/friends/non-pro shooting, therefore no need for super high quality (read super expensive) device, however large part of the shooting may take indoors with artificial lightling and at a times under considerably less perfect amount of light.
I personally do not have any previosu experience with digital video filming, but according to most users and pros, digital video cameras are less sensitive to lighting, thus require more light for quality recording. That may (and do actually) pose problems with most digital cameras once indoors usage is anticipated thereby forcing people to look for the best low-light performers their money can get.

On teh other hand, some looking for great low-light cams mean shooting under almost total lack of light (say 1-2 candles at all) that require consideably more cash to put into the purchase.

As for me, low-light would mean an average sized room illuminated by 150-300 W bulb lighting.

Alex

Frank Granovski August 30th, 2003 03:27 PM

I know that with shooting indoors with a PAL cam, in NTSC Land, you get pulsing---a strobe effect. Would you get this with a NTSC cam in PAL Land? Just curious.

Alex Zabrovsky August 30th, 2003 09:34 PM

I guess so - 50/60 HZ main power differences - but presumably yo can fight it in manual mode by controlling shutter.

Alex