DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   Original Optura Wont Work in XP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/21414-original-optura-wont-work-xp.html)

Mike Arcidiacono February 15th, 2004 08:59 PM

Original Optura Wont Work in XP

I have the original Canon optura from 1997. The cam works fine.

However, when I connect it to my PC via the Firwire card, the Pc just does not see it. Nothing. Zilch.

Is anyone out there using the original Optura with XP, and if you are, what Firewire card are you using?

Frank Granovski February 15th, 2004 09:24 PM

Maybe it's a driver or NLE software issue, or a cable issue.

Mike Arcidiacono February 15th, 2004 09:42 PM

Canon optura Problem

Hi Frank.

Well, I can d/l still pics to the pc, so I know it isnt the fireware port, or the cable.

At forst i thought that it was becaise my Pc had the Texas instruments 1394 chipset on the card, but I have TWO XP machines with different 1394 chipsets on the cards and the Optura was not recognized by either one.

I was told by someone that the Firewire port on the Opturs is not a standard one. That sucks.

Jeff Donald February 15th, 2004 09:51 PM

Some early Canon cameras did not fully comply with the FireWire standard. Some software will have several levels of FireWire support to accommodate the early cameras. Apple, for example has FireWire Basic and FireWire protocols. If XP doesn't have different levels of support, I think you may be out of luck.

What software are you using to capture?

Mike Arcidiacono February 15th, 2004 09:58 PM

Canon

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for posting.

I have heard what you said about the early Canon DV cams from others.

XP just doesnt see the cam in anyw ay so the capture SF isnt going to work and it doesnt.

I have Ulead, Premeire 7 and Windv and none of them see the cam.

Any ideas?

Jeff Donald February 15th, 2004 10:06 PM

Microsoft would need to write new FireWire drivers that included support for the Optura. I don't know if earlier OS versions would have supported it. If you have a friend with a Mac you could capture the video that way. Then network the two computers with an ethernet crossover cable and transfer the footage over the network.

Mike Arcidiacono February 15th, 2004 10:08 PM

uugghh

UUGGHHHH

Well thanks Jeff.

It looks like I have to get a new DV cam.

Jeff Donald February 15th, 2004 10:37 PM

I seem to recall that this camera could be edited on PC systems of it's era (1997). You may need to seek assistance from the manufacture of the FireWire card. It may me that newer OS's and software don't support this camera any longer.

Mike Arcidiacono February 16th, 2004 09:05 AM

Card

Hi Jeff.

Well, I dont think the PYRO folks are going to be able to help me.

I have a hunch that I would need a different Firewire card altogether. But which one is the mystery. Finding out info on this camera is like harder than learning Nasa secrets!!

Let me ask you this...this cam has pretty crappy low light performance. One of the primary things I need to use a DV cam for is shooting bands live at clubs....where its very low light.

What DV cam would you recommend for excellent Low light performance?

thanks!!

Jeff Donald February 16th, 2004 10:19 AM

Several of the Sony's are regarded as having very good low light performance. You might want to post the question in the Open DV Forum or in a camera specific forum.

Mike Arcidiacono February 16th, 2004 11:02 AM

ok!!

Ok, thanks Jeff.