Canon Optura 300-excellent!!! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old March 19th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Raimo,

Check out the workprinter, if you haven't already, for this type of equipment. www.moviestuff.tv

I think that may be what you're interested in, as filming the gate while the film flickers through doesn't seem to me to be an ideal system for capturing film to digital.

mg
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #32
Major Player

workprinter

Raimo,

I used to have a workprinter and can personally attest to the high level of quality you can achieve with the captures from it. I ran a small business of transferring film for the local film school, its students and local filmmakers. Everyone was thrilled with the results

Roger Evans, the inventor and builder, is very personable and responsive to questions, and he is very creative and enthusiastic about this field, which makes a huge difference to me.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #33
New Boot

I am acquainted with Roger's work printer for film transfers but the lower end units still require a video camera for the transfers !! What I am trying to do is to find the best camera to do the job. My situation is that I just want to transfer my own films and it is not cost effective for me to purchase the work Printer just for that. The intent of my original posting was to get feed back on the use of the 300 in the still capture mode for this type of work to get the best possible quality of transfer to digital format. Thanks.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #34
Wrangler

Quote:
The intent of my original posting was to get feed back on the use of the 300 in the still capture mode...
I would also like to see some footage or frame grabs from this "unique" mode.

Johann? Anyone?
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #35
Major Player

to Johann Adler

johan,

is it possible to you to send somewhere sample clips with different modes of your optura 300. i'm very curious to see these differences in "hidden" modes. especially when the others are thinking that this is not (progressive mode) the case here.
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:50 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Hello everyone,

I'd be glad to share footage of these various modes, but I am very busy right now and I lent the camcorder to a friend. So in 1-2 weeks maximum, I will be able to do it.

Sorry to keep you in suspense.

Sincerely,
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Johann,

Any chance you have those sample clips yet? I'd love to see 'em before I pop for for the Optura 300...

Thanks,

Dan
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Hi everyone,

I finally got a chance to grab some frames in the various modes. They are compressed in HQ JPEG. If someone really wants to see the PNG versions, I can do it later on a fast connection. But there isn't much difference.

Disclaimer: All shots were taken in the same half hour during the day under natural light (through window) in hand held, no frills shooting. Obviously I cannot simulate the exact situation in moving shots more than once. All footage was taken as is without levels correction. As I mentioned earlier, the photo modes use computer levels, so they look better in the frame grabs.

These frame grabs are not indicators of the Optura 300's quality. They are mearly able to show some differences between the various modes I explained about earlier. The true footage can look better or worse than these pictures...usually much better ;-)

Normal
-the normal 4:3 interlaced mode. This is a fairly fast pan shot.

16:9
-the 16:9 high resolution interlaced mode. Also in a fast pan shot

"Low Light" - 1/30 Shutter Speed
-the normal mode in "Low Light" AE mode -> 1/30 shutter speed. Also fast pan shot.

Photo
-the special photo mode explained earlier. Slow/moderate pan shot.

Photo2
-the same as above but a fast pan shot.

Photo 1/100 Shutter Speed
-the same special photo mode, but used in a 1/100 shutter speed. Almost still frame grab, except for hand shake.

Photo2 1/100 Shutter Speed
-same as above but a close up shot.

http://www.geocities.com/canonoptura...Optura300.html

I hope this helps everyone,

Edit: How do I make these links active so its easier for everyone?
Edit2: Thanks Guy
Edit3: Fixed link
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Edit: How do I make these links active so its easier for everyone?
Enclose the links in [u r l]link[/ u r l] without the spaces.
Old March 27th, 2004, 01:16 AM   #40
Wrangler

Johanna, the links seem to be deactivated by Geocities. They are not usually fond of linked file storage.

If you don't have another online photo storage option then email me and I will host them for you.
Old March 27th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #41
Major Player

And, as Tommy so kindly offered, you are welcome to post them in the Members Album on my website.
Old March 27th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #42
Outer Circle

I played with an Optura 300 a couple of days ago. It looked and felt like a nice piece of work---well-made. The only thing I didn't like was with holding it---feels awkward, and I had trouble keeping my fingers from covering the sensors in front. Nice cam though, and the price is right.
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:58 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,

Those sensors are used for the remote, LED super low light mode, and ...

I can't remember what the third was for, but I am pretty sure its not used for regular shooting. So its not a problem. Also, after a few trials holding it is not a problem.

I also edited my above post. Geocities wants a homepage, so I gave them one :-)

Edit: Thanks Guy and Tommy for the offer.
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #44
Outer Circle

Thanks, Johann. Yes, that's what I was told by the salesperson, but where are the other sensors? They're not in front?
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Johann Adler

Those test images taken in photo mode do indeed look like true progressive scan. The high shutter speeds show no "jaggies" and the low shutter speed gives a nice motion blur. I wonder if this will work with all Digic camcorders.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog