Canon Optura 300-excellent!!! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old July 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM   #46
Trustee

RE: Super High Res Footage via "still mode"......

Johann,

the DV capture via firewire into Final Cut Pro HD wont work in the still image mode because it doesn't detect "timecode"......so unfortunately I can't view the super hi-res HDV-like footage as you've outlined in a previous post......I'm most saddened as I would have liked to have been able to "play" with this "super hi res" footage.....

......if anyone knows how to bypass FCP's timecode necessity- please post it here..... (using FCP's "capture now" button)

..thanks...... still loving my Optura 300- what a cam!
Old July 10th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #47

Hi Steve,

It's all in the Prefs, really. Go to "Device Control" and choose the appropriate protocol. You can capture pretty much anything via FCP once you set your prefs correctly. Yes, you'll have to do a manual "Capture Now".

http://kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp...age_index.html

Let us know how you make out, ok?

Best regards,

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #48
Trustee

Don,

nice to hear from you again (I've been awol lately with all my airbrush work).......thanks for the heads up- I'll try altering the present preset and see if I can import the "super high res" footage as explained earlier-

I'll post something as soon as I try it and can edit something small-

see u guys soon-

Steve
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #49
Trustee

Well I've tried Johann's "super high res" technique and here's what I got:
a few seconds of high quality footage shot via firewire import using FCP HD and the Optura's "Picture" mode.....

.....what you'll see in this clip is a downwards pan of a cologne bottle- because I left the camera in AF mode- it initially produces a soft image-(nothing to lock focus on but shades--).... once the letters on the bottle come into view- the camera autofocuses beautifully and produces vivid colors and sharp edges without any jaggies.....also keep in mind this is a compressed clip and therefore lacks the full image quality of the actual raw firewire footage........overall I can't but help be surprised by the image quality.......see for yourselves and let me know what you think

(keep in mind the first few seconds the camera is NOT in focus and only snaps focus when a contrasting edge is detected- I mistakenly left AF on- but I think you guys will get the idea of the image quality when the letters are visible on the bottle and the camera locks focus)

see the clip here----->

http://www.members.aol.com/stevenyc1/curv.mov
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:55 AM   #50
Regular Crew

That clip has incredible quality and sharpness - I can imagine what the original avi would look like. I know a lot depends on lighting and camera settings but that is comparable quality to what I have seen on the new $5000 XL2.
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #51
Regular Crew

I got my Optura 300 two days ago. I was so busy lately that I just put a Mini DV tape into it that I had from my daughter's birth 20 months ago. I had borrowed my brother's JVC camera for that event. Yesterday, I wanted to capture and play around with something on my computer. I found the part where I was about to touch my daughter for the first time in my life. I actually paused and told my wife that I just realized that I was going to capture the first time that I ever placed my hand on my daughter. I reached out and touched her. Well, I placed that tape in a special place to keep it safe. It was strange to see her on the first day of her life again. I got tired while reading the manual and constantly going back to capturing video. I went to bed at 3 am. I never captured that clip. Well, I just turned around and saw my wife recording the kids. I asked her what tape she was using. She said the one in the camera. I jumped up in a panic. She recorded over that moment. Lesson learned. Hide the toys from the wife and kids.
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:43 AM   #52
Wrangler

Steve, I see you're selling your Optura 300 in the classifieds.

What are you going with next?
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #53
Trustee

Tommy, I really like the Optura300 and have absolutely nothing bad to say about it......but my curiosity has been piqued with the DV400 Panasonic and I'd like to add it to my stable of owned cameras......it seems like a gem of a camera- but if the Optura doesn't sell- I wont be disappointed at all!
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #54
Wrangler

Steve, I guess you're referring to the new Panasonig GS400? It does seem like quite the cam for the price! I want one to compliment my DVX100A.

The Optura 300 is a nice cam and I wouldn't blame you a bit if you kept it (and got a GS400).

Good luck with the sell.
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #55
Regular Crew

I first learned about CraigsList.com yesterday. I got on there and got addicted to what people are selling online. I contacted a woman who was selling everything after getting divorced. She listed a Sony High 8 camera for only $65.00. Now, that model is ten years old. But, I figured that if it were in good shape, I would have an extra cam to let the kids play with. One that we are not afraid to knock around. This woman gave me her cell number on AOL. I called her. She lives in a nice building on W 57th St. in Manhattan. She told me to come over anytime that I felt free. I could have been some nut for all she knew. I went with my wife. She was an occupational therapist it turns out. She had all of the things laid out that she was selling. So cheap. I could not believe the camera. It was in the original box. She asked me how to use it to get out the only tape that she ever used out of the first three she bought. It was of her dog that died two years ago. The battery was dead. It would not eject. I figured she would say no deal. I showed her how to hook it up to the outlet. It had weird proprietary plugs. We got the tape out. The camera is a Sony TR500 handyCam. This camera had every extra. It had not a scratch or prints on it. It has the original box with Styrofoam. It was like it just came out of a time warp. I took it home and just went through everything. It includes the Camera, three batteries one of which has a price tag of $59.99 from Best buy and is unopened, the wires included are the power adapter, RCA jack wires, S-Video and that wire that connects to the old antennae on the back of the TV. It has three filters. A clear UV filter, polarized filter, and ND filter (I don't really know filters). There is a European plug converter. It even has an infared remote that takes a watch battery. The strap was never put on yet. She also gave me the two left over tapes that were never opened. The kicker is that she had her husbands receipt in there. $1826.89 was paid ten years ago. It has the lifetime extended warranty on it. Any video taken with it can be transferred to computer through the video card that I have on my wife's Dell or through my Canon Optura 300 as a pass through camera with mine connected with firewire to my new AMD computer. For $65 bucks, this is a weird deal. BTW, My wife has dozens of the same tapes. Her camera broke. She wants to convert hers to DVD with my burner. Two days ago we were speaking about who we may know with a High 8 that we can use to run her tapes through to the computer. We took this camera out and used it. It records excellent quality video. We were laughing after seeing the quality then comparing it to the new Optura 300. It is not much different to the untrained eye. When recording indoors in lamp lighting, it is grainy. The hallway outside my door is brighter and it does well there. Outdoors should be kool too. Its not a 24P but it is something the kids can play with. As a side note, I was able to return the battery that was unopened. The cam came with three batteries. I called the woman and asked her why she had one new battery. She explained that she could not locate the two others so she bought that to get the tape out that had her dog on it. She found the other two batteries when she returned from best buy. She had no idea how to hook up the power adapter either. I told her that she could return the battery for cash. She told me to just keep it. I exchanged it for a spare for the Optura 300 I have. I was going to buy a spare Optura battery so that makes this camera pretty much free. I good knock around camera to have. A little off topic here but just a reflection on a good deal.
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Don, you wrote:

"The image output is so good that it can easily cut with a GL2 or XL1S with just a wee bit of color correction."

Don, I'm wowed by your impressive endorsement!

Do you think I could use the Optura 500 (and what mike would you suggest) for instructional and experimental/art videos?

Thanks so much!

Dorothy
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #57
Tourist

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all these modes should be available on the Optura 40 too? It also has the 1/3.4" 2.2 megapixel CCD, and it looks like the 1/30 nite mode trick works. I can't try out the direct capture method, as I'm firewireless until the end of the month.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog