optura 200 mc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old March 13th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #1
Tourist

optura 200 mc

Hello,

I have a chance to buy a new optura 200 mc for $700. This seems like a good price for this cam, but I haven't quite decided yet. Any comments, or suggestions for other cameras in this range?

Thanks,

Peter
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #2
Outer Circle

That's too much for that cam. It buzzes and its built-in mic picks it up, along with zooming noise. It's also difficult to hold without covering up the sensors with your fingers. The Optura 100MC was a overall a much better model.

The Pana PV-DV852 was going for just under $600 a few months ago, and that cam is 3X the cam (than the 200MC), in my opinion. For $500, it's a good buy...but try it first.
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:57 PM   #3
Tourist

indeed

I've just read some other reviews, which aren't favorable. The placement of the zoom control (among other things) was tipping me away from it anyway.

re: DV852 - sounds great, from what you and others have said, but where? I can't find it anywhere, online or off.

Thanks,

Peter
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #4
Outer Circle

I don't have a clue where you can still get the DV852. Why don't you look at the Sony TRV70? They're going to be replaced soon. Maybe they're cheaper now. The TRV38 isn't bad either, though I find its viewfinder mick-e mouse.
Old March 14th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Peter,

For ~$700, you should consider the Canon Optura 300.

Check it out at CanonDV.com
and reply if you have any questions.

Buydig.com and B/H Video has it for a fair price.

Take Care
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:15 AM   #6
Tourist

done

Well, it was pointed out to me that it maybe isn't such a good idea to spend more money than I need to (not to mention all the arguments to be made about the art, not the tools), when I don't even know really what I'm going to do with the thing. So I took that to the extreme, and ordered a (ahem) PV-DV53.

If I decide I need to, I can upgrade. (I almost did already, to the DV953, but thought it would take some of the fun out of it.)

This camera is an upgrade from a webcam, which, being tethered to the computer, is simply not very portable. And the lens, while able to focus incredibly close, isn't really very good. :)

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions! I look forward to playing with this new toy. We'll see what comes of it.

Peter
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:24 AM   #7
Outer Circle

Hope you enjoy it, Peter. :-))

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog