Canon Optura Xi Video Downloading Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old May 7th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #1
Tourist

Canon Optura Xi Video Downloading Problem

I recently bought a Canon Optura Xi and can't get iMovie 4 on my G5 (using OS 10.3.3) to recognize the camera when attached via the Firewire port. I've contacted Apple and they told me it's not a supported camera. Instead they directed me to a list of old cameras that are supported (many of which are not made any more). I've also contacted Canon and they told me it's a software problem (because I get a "DV In" on the camera) and they can't help me.

My question is can I download video from my Optura Xi to my G5? Has anyone out there done it? If so, please point me in the right direction. I'd really like to be able to do some digital editing.

Thanks In Advance,
Lorenzo
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:05 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm a Mac user, but don't have a Canon, a G-5 or use iMovie4 or even 10.3.3 yet. But what I usually try if there's a problem getting iMovie to recognize my cam (and it does happen sometimes, especially with the cheapie I use as a deck), I trash iMovie preferences and do a complete shutdown of the Mac. Restart. Open iMovie. Create a new project if you're not importing into an existing project. Attach the cam and then turn it on in playback mode. Hopefully iMovie will see the cam. You may have to try it a couple of times. (With no basis for doing so, I've always thought this had something to do with re-initializing the firewire port, but no one can tell me.)

Try the apple/support/discussion forum if you don't get help here. Canons are notorious for having a problem - seems to be something about how they decided to implement firewire protocols, from what I've read. Nonetheless, I would be very surprised if you don't find someone who has managed to get it to work. I think Apple telling you it's not supported basically means they don't want to get involved with "fixes," not that the cam will not work with your Mac.
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for your reply Patricia. I just tried trashing preferences for iMovie and iMovie still doesn't recognize the camera. I'll check the apple discussion forums. I might just have to try a different software program like Final Cut.
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

... you might want to test it out on someone elses system to see if it's the camera

I use an Optura Xi and it has had no problems with either a PC desktop or a Mac laptop. Both computers recognize and control the camera just fine.

The PC desktop is running Windows XP Pro / Vegas 4
The Mac laptop is running OS X / iMovie

** I did have some minor problems with a Canon ZR60 but the Xi and GL-2s have been rock solid with the PC/Mac connections.
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Major Player

I think GS5/10.3 combination may have some additional issues. One thing I remember reading early on was to turn off file vault. But there have been so many updates, I don't know how valid that is anymore.
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #6
Warden

Michael, what version OS X are you using?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #7
Major Player

I use a G3 800 iBook (OS 10.3.3) and a Canon ZR 40 and Optura XI. Although I rarely use iMovie, both cameras were recognized by it. I usually use Final Cut Express.

Could be the cable, could be the G5. If possible, try it on a G4 or G3 and see what happens. The Canon web site says the XI is supported. By the way, I love my XI.
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #8
Warden

Lorenzo, what brand cable are you using? Is it the Apple FireWire cable that came with the computer?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #9
Tourist

Thanks for the response.

I finally figured it out. It has something to do with the Firewire 800 bus. I disconnected power to the G5 for about 5 minutes (advice from the Apple discussions) and disconnected a Hard Drive I had connected via the FW800. I connected the Canon Optura Xi using the FW400 port, restarted the G5, and voila iMovie sees the Canon and communicates no problem.

I know it's something to do with firewire because in the system profiler the FW400 ports are referred to as the 800 ports. Apple has some work to do in differentiating these two connections. Whenever I try to rehook up the Hard Drive, the system doesn't recognize the camera. So it's still a nuisance.

Thanks again folks,
Lorenzo
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #10
Warden

How are you hooking up the camera? Have you tried daisy chaining the camera to the drive?

Old May 16th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #11
Tourist

Jeff, I'm hooking up directly to the G5 via the FW400 port. No daisy chain, but daisy-chaining does work too.
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #12
Warden

If you daisy chain the camera can you use your FW drive?

Old May 16th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #13
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Michael, what version OS X are you using? -->>>

OS 10.3.3

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog