DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   Making the Xi plunge - lens adaptors, accessory questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/27896-making-xi-plunge-lens-adaptors-accessory-questions.html)

Stephen van Vuuren June 22nd, 2004 02:12 AM

Making the Xi plunge - lens adaptors, accessory questions

The $200 rebate is too tempting. For $900, I can't find a better camera on the market, especially since I shoot 100% 16:9...

However, I want around a 20-25mm wide (35mm equivalent). In 16:9 mode, I'm having a devil of time figuring out what lens adaptor to get. I would prefer something that can take filters. I would also like a 2X teleconverter - how many stops do they lose?

Also, from what I can tell, I can shoot this way. 16:9, lock shutter speed to 1/30th or 1/60th and adjust exposure & wb as needed.

Any home made tricks to squeezing the LCD display? Century Optics has a widescreen lcd convertor, but only for 2.5. And the Optura 40 lacks zebras, 1/30th shutter speed and OIS plus lens is slower at 1.9.

Best battery deals? Best battery charger deal?

Any and all tips appreciated.

Chris Hurd June 22nd, 2004 05:24 AM

I would go with Century Optics for your wide angle adapters; maybe consider an anamorphic adapter (native 16:9 plus anamorphic equals super widescreen!), and while you're at it, bug them about that 3.5" LCD anamorphic viewer. I had been after them about that for quite awhile, maybe they've done it by now? How about a miniature matte box for filters.

Stephen van Vuuren June 22nd, 2004 09:57 AM

I did not see Century Optics 46mm stuff. They do offer step up rings, but I'm worried about vingetting.

Michael Wisniewski June 22nd, 2004 10:29 AM

Re: Making the Xi plunge - lens adaptors, accessory questions

Quote:

from what I can tell, I can shoot this way, 16:9, lock shutter speed to 1/30th or 1/60th and adjust exposure & wb as needed.
Yes. That is correct.

Notes:
1. Set the Xi to shutter priority mode (TV) and dial in 1/30th or 1/60th
2. Press the exposure dial once to adjust exposure

Stephen van Vuuren June 22nd, 2004 10:32 AM

Michael:

Thanks. That's excellent news. Due to a finacial loss, I had to sell my DVX100's, so it good to know I can get decent manual control with this cam.

Michael Wisniewski June 22nd, 2004 11:22 AM

Re: Making the Xi plunge - lens adaptors, accessory questions

Quote:

However, I want around a 20-25mm wide (35mm equivalent). In 16:9 mode, I'm having a devil of time figuring out what lens adaptor to get. I would prefer something that can take filters.
My current setup is the Canon WD-H46 wide angle adapter with two Tiffen filters: UV & Polarizer. The filters can be stacked between the cam and the wide angle lens.

That's about all the lens changing I want to do, though I'm probably going to pick up the Canon telephoto lens as well.

Stephen van Vuuren June 22nd, 2004 11:24 AM

Michael:

Do you roughly know what 35mm wide angle that gives you? Or someway to calculate it?

Michael Wisniewski June 22nd, 2004 11:39 AM

I don't know how to calculate that, but maybe someone can help out.

Here's the Optura Xi lens info:
---------------------------------------
f1.6-1.9, 11 x power zoom
f=4.2-47 mm (16.9 mode: F1.6 - 1.9, 10 x power zoom f=4.7-47mm) (Tape)
F1.8-2.8, 9x power zoom, f=5.2- 47mm (Card)

* The WD-H46 Wide angle adapter is 0.7x

Michael Wisniewski June 22nd, 2004 11:44 AM

Since we're talking accessories: Hoodman H-400 Hood for Camcorders with 3-1/4 to 4" LCD Monitor

Stephen van Vuuren June 22nd, 2004 11:48 AM

Thanks for the tip on the hood - that's a keeper for sure.

Kevin A. Sturges June 23rd, 2004 09:52 AM

Hey thanks Michael for the info about pushing the exposure button once to change the gain setting when you are in 1/30 shutter mode. I didn't know that. Very useful stuff :)

Nate Cannon February 8th, 2005 01:59 PM

(((((((( Michael Wisniewski ))))))))))

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Wisniewski : My current setup is the Canon WD-H46 wide angle adapter with two Tiffen filters: UV & Polarizer. The filters can be stacked between the cam and the wide angle lens. -->>>
Michael, would you mind help pointing me into the right direction as to of which models of the filters you have. I don't know a whole lot about them at the moment. I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and will be filming alot outdoors (Hopefully alot of sunshine)

I'm placing an order with B&H for the DM-50 Mic (Replacing my Azden AGM-X) and would like to add the filters to the order as well.

Polarizer

UV

Thanks for your help.

Michael Wisniewski February 8th, 2005 06:26 PM

Nate,

I'd recommend the standard Tiffen or Hoya glass 46mm polarizers. They work very well, most people are very satisfied with these filters. Canon also makes a set for the Optura series but you'll pay a little more. Though I've been very happy with all the Canon filters/glass I've bought.

You can also take a look at a slim polarizing filter, if that's your thing. Here's one - Heliopan 46mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter - Slim. Some people swear by slim filters, some could care less. One downside, you can't stack filters on top this one.

I eventually upgraded to a Multi-Coated polarizer to see what all the fuss was about.
I took a look at these two:

Hoya 46mm Circular Polarizer (HMC) Multi-Coated Glass Filter
Heliopan 46mm SH-PMC Circular Polarizer Glass Filter

And ended up with the Heliopan.

Do I see much of a difference between the Heliopan and the Tiffen images?? Sometimes, but 98% of the time NO. I'd swear I can see a little bit of difference, but that's only after squinting at the video with my nose 3 inches from the screen. My guess is with these MiniDV camcorders, you won't see a huge benefit from multi-coated glass like you would with the much more sensitive digital still cameras. So I'd recommend the Tiffen or Hoya over the Heliopan because of the price/performance ratio.

Tom Hardwick February 15th, 2005 12:18 PM

Stephen, wide-angle and telephoto converters do soak a little bit of light, but it's probably less than an eighth of a stop, and not worth worrying about. The camera's exposure system will take them into account.

If you want to get down to a 20 mm equivalent you're going to need a 0.45x converter, and generally if you go this wide you have to accept a fair amount of barrel distortion - where all straight lines that don't pass through the centre of the frame are bowed outwards.

You should realise that the default shutter speed is the one to stick with if at all possible. Going slower means you sacrifice some vertical resolution, and going faster can give pretty dramatic CCD smear. Canon know this and limit the top speed to 1/2000 sec.

I can highly recommend the 4:3 Hoodman as others have done here. You had to sell the DVX100? Shame. The Canon doesn't offer the same manual control as a lot of the exposure changes are done with 2 internal ND filters, and not aperture changes as you're led to believe. Still, the image quality can be outstanding.

tom.