Various Optura questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old July 10th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Various Optura questions

Hi again, folks

Canon Wide Converter + Hama Hood

I'm wondering if these two add-ons will work together.

If so, will the Hama Hood connect to the Canon wide-converter and what (if any) step-up rings are needed?

Cheers,
Earon
Old July 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Earon,

They won't work together. First of all, the wide converter doesn't have threads on the front and secondly, it's too wide across the front for the Hama to fit.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Taking snapshots

Anyway to stop the shutter effect from closing when taking a picture?

Thanks
RB
Old July 24th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

You can change or disable the sound, but not the visual effect. Bummer!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #5
Tourist

Wide angle zoom through question

I was just reading the “Canon Optura 40 vs. Elura 70 Comparison” article (http://www.dvinfo.net/canonoptura/articles/optura40elura70-2.php) and I noticed that Chris Hurd says “The WA-34 wide-angle attachment included with the Elura 70 converts the field of view at the wide end to 35.4mm respectively (once again, in 35mm still photo equivalent terms). The WA-34 is not a zoom-through adapter, however. It works properly only when the lens is zoomed out all the way to full wide angle.”

I haven’t run across this concept before and it seems odd that Canon would have a lens that only works when zoomed to full wide angle. This would severely limit its use, to the point of being nearly worthless. I would expect to be able to use the zoom with the lens attached. What is the problem when you zoom in with the WA attached?

Does this problem also apply to the WD-H34 lens that is used on the Optura 40?

Can anyone help me understand what the problem is and why any wide angle or telephoto attachment lens would not be “zoom through”?

Thanks,
Bob
Old September 29th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #6
New Boot

night shooting(optura 20)

ok when i put on night mode its all blurry and slow motion?
anyone know whats wrong. on my friends jvc it dose the same thing. were both confused. anyhelp is greatly appreciated.
Old September 29th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #7
Wrangler

That's the way it works. You're not doing anything wrong. Night mode slows down the shutter speed to either 1/15 or 1/8 which results in blur. The other effect you may notice is that the image is grainier than normal and doesn't have a lot of color. Same thing happens on the Optura Xi.

It's mainly good for low light shots where not much stuff is moving and I've found it good for dreamy and suspenseful scenes.

A really cool effect with the night mode setting is to put something in front of your light source that casts moving shadows, like a leafy tree branch in windy conditions or a glass pane with water pouring/dripping onto it - the results can make some really interesting and freaky images - especially facial close ups.

Otherwise, add more light! And if you can't, c'est la vie.
Old October 10th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Is there a flash for the Optura 20?

I tried my sb 24 but it doesn't fire .
Thanks

RB
Old October 12th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #9
Wrangler

The DVSpot review of the Optura 20 mentions the VFL-1 combo light and flash but its rather pricey at almost $100.

Click here for the review.

Click here to purchase the VFL-1 from B&H.
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:18 PM   #10
Tourist

Canon MV1 Firewire problem

A friend has a Canon MV1 which he likes but can't get to connect via firewire. I tried on my PC (Fast high end box, latest professional software and works with my cameras).

Appart from tossing the MV1 into the bin has anyone got any advice? Many Thank!
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas, Malc,

Yanks will know the MV1 as the PAL version of the original Optura from 1997. Do not toss it in the bin. It is one of the very few DV camcorders which has actually appreciated in value. Due to its unobtrusive SLR shape, one of these in good working order today can fetch more than what it was bought for new.

There are a couple of possible explanations for your problem. First, because of its age, the PC may not be recognizing it as a FireWire device. Traditional non-linear DV editing software such as Adobe Premiere may recognize it within the application, though.

Second, it could simply be a bad FireWire jack on the camcorder. Contact your local Canon-authorized service facility (find it at this site: http://www.canon.com.au/support/loca...as_video/dmmv1) and see if they can help. It could probably use a professional cleaning anyway.

Best of luck,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:07 AM   #12
Tourist

Just Ordered An Optura Xi

Hi, I have been browsing these forums for the past 4 days having just found this website. I have been looking to replace my Sony DCR-TRV11 bought in 2000. It is a 1/4 CCD with approx. 680k pixels.

I thought I had to step up to a 3 CCD camera, so for days I have been looking at the GL2 or Sony 2100. Of course the cost is much higher. I almost ordered one but I was concerned about the Canon turning off power in the middle of recording and the size of the Sony. I kept hearing about the Xi being one of or the best single ccd camera out there so I went to this forum.

I tape school events but any money I receive goes back to the school to help the teams. So the DVD's I create are really just to learn from and perhaps give them a keepsake.

I ordered the Xi with a UV filter and extra battery from B & H Photo yesterday so I am looking forward to using it soon. I think I made the right choice.

Thanks to the people of these forums for their advice. John
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #13
Wrangler

Welcome to Dv Info and congratulations on your purchase. Keep us updated on your experiences with the Optura.
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #14
Tourist

discontinued accessory shoes?

I've just about decided that I want to buy an Optura 40, but notice that a lot of the websites out there are posting that it and the Optura 30 have been discontinued. They are to be replaced by the Optura 300, 400 and 500...

Of these new versions, I've yet to see one with the accessory shoe, which is funny because a lot of the reviews that I've read on these suggest getting a light to put in this slot for use in low light areas.

Does anyone have any clue if this is a growing trend?

Also, does anyone have any horror stories to tell me about the Optura 40 before I purchase it?

Thanks in advance...

Nancy
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #15
Skyonic New York

>>>optura 30 have been discontinued. They are to be replaced by the Optura 300, 400 and 500...<<<

no the optura 30/40 have been updated by the optura 50/60, one major update was the addition of an optical image stabilizer...the advanced accessory shoe is still there...

you can read my review of the optura 60 here http://emptyloft.com/optura60/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog