will optura 500 have letterboxed lcd for 16x9 ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old August 5th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #16
New Boot

Related question about 400/500 LCD

The Canon site lists the 500 with a higher resolution LCD than the 400; 211,000 vs 123,00 pixels. Does anyone know if this is true, or is it just a typo?

I'm in the process of helping my mother find a camcorder, and the Optura 400/500 is a top condender at the moment. Of the two I have been leaning towards the 400 since the added features of the 500 wouldn't be of much use to her. However, if the 500 really has a higher resolution LCD, that could make all the difference! As someone mentioned, it can be hard getting good focus with these little LCD's, especially when in 16:9 mode.

Thanks
Old August 5th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #17
Major Player

Jeff - do you think your Mom will be manually focusing ? If in autofocus mode , then she will only need the lcd for composition. The 400 is cheaper .
Old August 5th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #18
New Boot

Kurth,

No, she probably won't use the manual focus or most of the other manual features for that matter. So you make a good point - maybe she won't really need the extra detail. But I'm still concerned about the LCD. My point of reference is my Optura 100MC which I always felt had marginal LCD resolution. The 400's LCD pixel count is a lot less than mine (while the 500 is a bit more). And when shooting in 16:9 mode, the situation would be even worse (she does plan on shooting 16:9).

I'll have to think about this one a bit more. The other features of the 500 over the 400 are of no real value to her, so I was originally thinking that the less expensive version would be more appropriate for her. Until I thought of the LCD question that is!

One more LCD question while I'm at it: How viewable can I expect the LCD display to be in sunlit conditions? And would the 400 or 500 likely be better? I ask because my 100MC is rather bad. I'm not sure if its always been that way or it has gotten worse. But its a real pain.

Thanks
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #19
Major Player

Jeff- I've got a sony dvcam ( pd100a ) and the lcd in sunlight is almost impossible to use and also my sony hi8s' lcd is the same. I think it's a universal problem. Seems I've read that some brands lcd's are better than others but I couldn't say which. In sunlight I use the viewfinder- simple. good luck - I think your Mom will be more than happy with either. Kurth
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #20
Wrangler

LCD's are getting better, brighter and have higher contrast. My PDX-10 screen is much brighter and easier to view in full light than my VX-2000 screen for example. Of course you can also add an LCD hood which is an inexpensive way to make it usable in the bright sun. Probably not something that "Mom" will want however! ;-)
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

<< The Canon site lists the 500 with a higher resolution LCD than the 400; 211,000 vs 123,00 pixels. Does anyone know if this is true, or is it just a typo? >>

It's not a typo. The difference in the LCD display pixel counts is one of the upsale features of the 500 over the 400.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:48 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Kurth, the LCD display shows a properly letterboxed 16:9. This is a long-awaited "development" for Canon. Canon models which have this display feature include the Optura 500 / 400 / 40 / 30, Elura 70 / 65, and XL2. Hope this helps,
Chris,
Are you absolutely sure that the Elura 70 letterboxes the 16x9 on the LCD? I have read several users who claim it does not and that is a benefit of getting a newer elura 80-85-90 so that you have this feature. Your Optura vs Elura review states that it letterboxes it also. I am about to buy the Elura 70 but this is a make or break feature for me.

Help!
thanks
Old June 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #23
Trustee

Can anyone verify that the Elura 70 does indeed letterbox the 16x9 on the LCD? I am getting varying reports where several users complain about the lack of this feature. However Chris says in his comparison that it does properly letterbox the image. Everyone makes a mistake from time to time and I want to confirm this before buying a camera that I cannot use.

Thanks All,
Marty
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Marty, the Elura 70 has been discontinued and is no longer current. Are you sure that's the camcorder you want? I'm sure it has a letterboxed display but since it's no longer available, I have no way to check it.

Old June 25th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Marty, the Elura 70 has been discontinued and is no longer current. Are you sure that's the camcorder you want? I'm sure it has a letterboxed display but since it's no longer available, I have no way to check it.
Chris,
Because it is discontinued it is very affordable. The newer Elura 80 does not have microphone in or a hot shoe and comes with a smaller battery. The Elura 70 comes with a much bigger battery, a wide angle adapter and has the hotshoe and mic inputs. IT will cost about the same as the elura 80. The theory is that the actual CCD design has not changed in the newer models so the image should be just as good on the 70. The only question I have is if the LCD letterboxes the footage. If you have tried one first hand and actually seen it then I believe you. I just was making sure that you weren't confusing it with the Optura you reviewed.

I have read over on the ELura forum at camcorderinfo.com and several owners claim that the one thing they don't like about the 70 is the stretched LCD image in 16x9 (which contradicts what you are saying) and that is the one big benefit of the newest ELuras 80/85/90.

LEt me know if you are sure. IF you have any good reason that I should not get the 70 let me know also.

THanks,
Marty
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
Can anyone verify that the Elura 70 does indeed letterbox the 16x9 on the LCD?
I've used both the 70 and 65 at the store (they were on my potential purchase list at the time) and they do indeed letterbox the 16:9 image.

Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Marty,

When it's me vs. some other site on the web... believe me.

When it's me vs. another DV Info Net member... believe the other DV Info Net member.

Hope this helps,

Old June 27th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Marty,

When it's me vs. some other site on the web... believe me.

When it's me vs. another DV Info Net member... believe the other DV Info Net member.

Hope this helps,
As a rule that works! Just wanted to be sure.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog