Authorized dealers and rebate offers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old August 8th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Authorized dealers and rebate offers

Part of the usual "terms and conditions" for Canon's special rebate offers is that the camcorder be purchased from a "Canon Authorized USA Digital Video Dealer". Is this serious (Canon applies it rigorously), or am I just reading the fine print too much? Naturally, when I purchase online I look for the lowest priced dealer which seems to be reputable. But if Canon won't honor the rebate for that dealer I might actually end up spending more!

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old August 8th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #2
Warden

Those are Canon's conditions and in my experience they are applied consistently. It could be grounds for having your rebate invalidated by the company authorizing and issuing the rebate checks. It is always safest buying from an authorized dealer.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ah....I think this explains why I never got my $200 rebate. That is total crap. I purchased the camera from an online dealer, and sent in all the paper work, with the coupon they sent me, back to Canon.

That is a totally dishonest business practice, if it's true, and consumers should have some kind of legal recourse for these business' actions.

I have this happen with several rebates this year. They should be required to tell you who is an authorised dealer and who is not. Can you say business fraud?
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

This is why I always urge our members to buy through our DV Info Net sponsors. Not only are they fully authorized by the various manufacturers, but they're the best, most reputable dealers in the business.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Just an update: I called CamerasAnd Electronics where I purchased my Xi from. Their service has always been really fast and friendly. They said they are authorized Canon dealers.

Then I called Canon, and they said there had been a problem processing the rebates, causing a big delay. Apparently, they will be sending them out this week. I hope so….

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog