DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   Linear or Circular Polarizer for my little Optura? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/31520-linear-circular-polarizer-my-little-optura.html)

Gustavo Godinho September 7th, 2004 01:17 PM

Linear or Circular Polarizer for my little Optura?

Hi. I wanna buy a 37mm polarizer filter, but I´m not sure about the circular or polarizer one. The price difference is not the problem. What I want to know is: why pick a linear if you can get the circular? Is there anything that makes the linear better than the circular?

THANK YOU!

Charles Papert September 7th, 2004 01:57 PM

Trying searching the forums here, there has been a zillion posts about this already. My opinion is that you do not need the more expensive circular polarizer when shooting DV.

Rainer Hoffmann September 8th, 2004 12:42 AM

Gustavo,

it's not a question of the quality of the filter. The issue is, that some exposure meters don't work correctly when you use a linear polarizing filter. If the manual of your camera does not state which filter type to use you are better off with a circular one because that will allways work.

Bryan Beasleigh September 8th, 2004 12:49 AM

A linear filter is just fine. MiniDV cams don't use a beam splitter. What Rainer means is that you should spend almost double because he is unsure. I've used a linear on both my cameras and with no problem.

The worst case scenario is that you return the filter and exchange it for a circular (which won't happen)

FYI An autofocus 35mm SLR requires a circular.

Rainer Hoffmann September 11th, 2004 09:28 AM

Bryan, you are right of course. I didn't think twice (what you should do when posting something).

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : The worst case scenario is that you return the filter and exchange it for a circular (which won't happen) -->>>

You guys (and girls of course) on the other side of the big pond are lucky. Try returning a piece of equipment over here in Germany because you changed your mind.... In two cases out of three the dealer would just shake his head in sorrow. Only if you bought something more expensive he might be tempted to agree to the change.

Graham Bernard September 11th, 2004 09:38 AM

. . er not 'ere Mate!

Sorry Rainer, if you buy something here in the UK and after asking the sales assistant will it work with X equip and asking them if it doesn't work AND you haven' broken it - HAH! - you get to bring it back with either the option of exchanging it for something that DOES work OR a full refund. Well, that's been my experuience. But to make sure I do ask BEFORE I buy it and get the details of the sales and manager of the shop.

Grazie

Rainer Hoffmann September 11th, 2004 10:37 AM

Ah, Graham, then you guys on the other side of the small pond are lucky as well...

Well, I don't say you couldn't find a shop that would do what you say, but it is not that easy. I have found such a shop and I buy all my photographic gear at that shop, even if they are not the cheapest one.

Anyway, you would be astonished how, sometimes, customers (who leave a lot of money in a shop) over here are taken care of if something goes wrong! Most Germans, me too, could tell you horror stories even Stephen King wouldn't dream of.

Enough complaining! Let's make movies instead.

Graham Bernard September 11th, 2004 10:56 AM

The Horror . . The Horror . . .

"German Shopping - Part II " . . just when you thought it was safe to buy a Matte Box in Germany . .

.. . This IS a movie . .isn't it? . . . Silly me . .

Grazie

Rainer Hoffmann September 12th, 2004 02:26 AM

A Chrosziel matte box?

That should be pretty safe. They have a very good reputation. The prices are silly, though.

Andre De Clercq September 12th, 2004 04:55 AM

There are (allmost) no reasons why you would need a circular polar for video. What you need for best performance is a filter with good scratchfree multicoating on it, and quite often this is only available as a circular polar.

Rainer Hoffmann September 12th, 2004 07:04 AM

Andre,

I didn't know that linear polarizing filters don't come with a good multicoating. Is that one of the reasons why they are so much cheaper (ah, less expensive, really) than the circular ones?

Andre De Clercq September 12th, 2004 08:27 AM

Good coating is one element, the extra (internal) retarder layer is the other point.

Rainer Hoffmann September 13th, 2004 03:36 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Andre.

Tommy Haupfear November 14th, 2004 06:53 PM

Looks like Ritz Camera is clearing out some old filters (mostly Cokin) and I picked up a ND, polarizer, and diffuser for $1.25/each. They may have more at your local Ritz/Wolf and online I'm sure they have 46mm.

Tom Hardwick November 19th, 2004 07:20 AM

I think Andre raises a good point - that it's worth paying extra for a good multi-coated polarisor (and BTW, you don't need a circular) simply because the filter becomes the front element of your lens and as such, and in this position of great responsibility, should be beautifully coated. Also be aware that polarisors should be neutral, and the more expensive they are the more neutral thay should be. A cheepie I had once was deep purple.

tom.