Optura 20, XI, or GS200/400? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old October 12th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Optura 20, XI, or GS200/400?

I'm in the planning stages of putting together a summer video workshop ('05) for interested high school students (I work for a school system). I'm looking for a camera that would provide the best 'all purpose' results for anything the kids may want to do - short films in traditional studio setups, student documentaries on anything located anywhere, etc.

The students would already have some knowledge of video/broadcast as they would have already taken an inschool class during the year. So in that regard, a camera with a little more manual flexibility (GS200/400) looks interesting. Budget dictates that I'm limited to about $1,000 per camera (# to be determined by the # of kids in the workshop), but I can probably work that up a little bit if necessary (Gs200->400) - also I can't shop around for used stuff even if good deals can be found - anything I purchase will ultimately be paid via purchase order so used isn't an option.

'Distribution' of student works will also only be TV or DVD (we have a local cable channel) so film, PAL/25p, 24p, etc aren't really an issue. Widescreen probably will be important (it's the cool thing these days, students will want it) and all of these cameras are reputed to be excellent in that regard.

I've already got the other misc. equipment (audio, lights, editors, etc), so I'm basically looking for a good camera that students could get good results with, provided they work a little elbow grease. Low price will keep me from worrying too much if one of them has the butterfingers with the gear.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:40 AM   #2
New Boot

well GS400 will fit into your budget. Currently it is selling at around $1050.
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:30 AM   #3
Major Player

I use an Optura Xi and love it. My employer even has me use it on shoots from time to time and he's a Beta SP guy.
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:10 AM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Nitin Goyal : well GS400 will fit into your budget. Currently it is selling at around $1050. -->>>

Yes, shouldn't be a problem.
Old October 14th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #5
New Boot

Then go for GS400.Its a 3 CCD camcorder and is better than Canon in every department, specially in low light it beats Canon hands down.I had it for 30 days and its a pretty good camcorder.
Read this review :
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-PV-GS400-Camcorder-Review.htm
Old October 14th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #6
New Boot

and if stiills are not that important to you then you can save a few bucks and opt for GS200.
Check out :
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The gs200 may not be the cam of choice depending how or what your are planning to do. My vote would be for the 400 over the 200 simply because EVERYTHING is accessed via the menu's on the 200. This is as severe a limitation as Sony's touch-screen consumer cams.

Ahh, now I feel 2 cents poorer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog