Optura 40 SUX!....Bad Camera? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old October 16th, 2004, 06:56 AM   #16
Wrangler

I haven't actually used either the GS-400 or GL-2, but from what I've read there is one major difference. The GS-400 has megapixel CCD's which allow it to shoot high quality 16:9 without the loss of vertical resolution you would experience on the GL-2. This also allows you to take higher resolution stills.

These things may not matter to you if you're main interest is 4:3 however, and the difference wouldn't be apparent unless you view on a 16:9 monitor.
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #17
Tourist

Hi all sorry to jump in but her goes,
The MVX3i "optura" is widely compared to the 950 Sony over here and I must solidly agree .
Must admit have never played with "real film" as far as movies are concerned but in my opinion digital will never please some people.
The XM2 is not even a fair comparison,it is a completley different ball game.
As for the Panasonics ## they are cheaper for a reason,you get what you pay for.
Unfortunately you have been stung with your purchase but please dont decry the model based on a faulty purchase.

Lastly ,Mike if you need low light capability then XM2 is the way to go, MVX3i is not good in this area, better than some ,but not good by any means.
Old October 30th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
As for the Panasonics ## they are cheaper for a reason,you get what you pay for.
Welcome Kevin!

I've had quite a few Panasonic 3CCD cams (DV953, GS100, DVX100A) and I actually think you get more than you pay for with features and performance not found on other cams in their respected price range. I suppose you could compare the Xi to the TRV950 but being a past PDX10 and Xi owner I see a distinctive performance gap with a nudge going to native 3CCDs.
Old October 30th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #19
Tourist

Hi Tommy,
Touche.
Well,as a Canon fan I suppose I was bound to upset the panosonic brigade with that one.
Must admit if I could have got my hands on a 950 over here ,
having read the reviews ,I may have been tempted.
So far tho I have not had any reasons to complain about my purchase. The XM1/2,,sorry gm1/2 just didnt "feel" right if you know what I mean. especially the matchbox sized screen.

PS Do you know the BIG factory that used to have a connection with WATFORD.
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:23 PM   #20
New Boot

Sent it Back...

Well, the Optura 40 has been returned. I'm still think it must have been a defective camera. We went with the XL1 as we needed the camera immediately, and we got a decent price on it. Not sure what the next upgrade will be. Its got a great picture, but lacks a bit in low light. I'm not sure if the GL2 would have been a better choice in that respect. We'll see. I know someone who would buy it for what I paid for it, so I can dump it if I need to... So far I'm happy with the XL1, even though its outdated...

Thanks for all the advice. Sending back the Optura 40 was definitely the right thing to do. That was HORRIBLE in low light. I don't think you could even film inside with it under normal lighting circumstances (birthdays, family gatherings, etc)...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog