Optura Xi various questions - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old June 1st, 2005, 04:37 PM   #91
Major Player

I think the GL2 hood is a bayonet style mount which would be hard to mount to a step ring with out modifying the hood.

I use a Hama hood (click here) on mine. Available at B&H.
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:49 PM   #92
Regular Crew

46mm to 52mm step up

I ended up getting that exact one at B & H, I ordered a step up ring of ebay as well. Thanks for the reply

(where you the one that had those pictues with the hood on the xi?)
Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM   #93
Regular Crew

BandH tracking number?

I ordered the 52mm Hama hood off of B&H yesterday. The order is still processing, I am just wondering how long it will take before I get a tracking number. I ordered off of beach camera and got a tracking number and shipping confirmation the same day, simply amazing. Anyway, whoever has ordered of B&H generally how long does it take to get your tracking number?
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:05 PM   #94
Regular Crew

Nate, If you bought it from Ultimate electronics I am not suprised one singal bit. I bought a camcorder from them (a used one supposedly in like new condition) a couple of months when I filmed with it, I saw lines and other marks on the tape while I played it back. I took it to fast track repair, and they said they were the dirtiest heads they have ever seen. I was in shock, it was suppose to be a barely used camera. Anyway they had to completely replace the heads on it. I never got billed, maybe Ultimate new they sold me a rip off camera. I took it to the repair shop through them, don't know how smart that was, but I didn't have to pay for the repair. Now I was driving around one day and found out that Ultimate Electronics here is closing down, hmm wonder why.
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #95
Regular Crew

XI Remote operation questions

I want to set up my Optura XI to record some wildlife remotely. Trying to find a source for a small LCD (?) type video display that could be connected to serve as a remote monitor. Quality isn't particularly important as it would be used mostly for composition.

At the same time, I'm trying to find out what the maximum distance would be for a wired connection from the camera to such a monitor? In most cases we'd be limited the max range of the remote control in any event, but curious to know what the options might be without that limitation.
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #96
Wrangler

There are several portable/battery operated LCD monitor solutions on the market for around $299 on up. If you go to B&H Photo's website, search for "portable LCD monitor".

Several people have also reported successfully using portable DVD players as a monitor.

I've also seen some reported attempts at using a portable Playstation, but I'm not sure if they were successful.

Make sure the monitor supports 16:9 if you're going to use it, otherwise your image will appear squished.

Keep us informed on how it works out.
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #97
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
There are several portable/battery operated LCD monitor solutions on the market for around $299 on up. If you go to B&H Photo's website, search for "portable LCD monitor"..
Thanks, Michael. B&H seems to have a number of choices, such as:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=189258

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=381823&is=REG

Even one w/ a built-in TV tuner.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=270601&is=REG

I might be in the city in the near future. I'll have to stop by and check these things out. Unless you know exactly what you're getting, there's no substitute for actually handling these things first.

Quote:
Several people have also reported successfully using portable DVD players as a monitor.

I've also seen some reported attempts at using a portable Playstation, but I'm not sure if they were successful.
Yeah, but with a Playstation I suppose one would have another diversion were they to get too bored looking at the screen. :)

Hopefully someone will have some input as to the practical limitations with respect to how far apart the camera and such a remote display could work?
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #98
Wrangler

Interesting question.

It looks like the practical limit for composite video is about 20-30 meters . S-video's practical limit is 5-7 meters. Per this document, (click here)

Another option is to use a laptop in the field. It can act as a monitor and remote control in one package. Unfortunately, firewire has a cable limit of 4.5 meters, so you'd have to use firewire repeater/extenders to get farther away.
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
Interesting question.

It looks like the practical limit for composite video is about 20-30 meters . S-video's practical limit is 5-7 meters. Per this document, (click here)

Another option is to use a laptop in the field. It can act as a monitor and remote control in one package. Unfortunately, firewire has a cable limit of 4.5 meters, so you'd have to use firewire repeater/extenders to get farther away.
Interesting link-- thanks much for that.

I hope to do some testing next week. Interesting that the quality of the firewire cable is such a significant factor. Guess that explains why the prices for any given length of cable can vary so much.

I'll let you know how I make out!
Old June 16th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #100
Regular Crew

Optura XI 1/30 shutter, drop vertical res?

Does the Optura Xi drop some vertical resolution when shooting in 1/30. I have looked at 1/60 and 1/30 and it looks the same. Does anyone know? 1/30 looks more like film to me, and I dont see any drop in res if there is some its so faint I cant notice. Anybody know for sure.

Last edited by Nathan Petersen; June 16th, 2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:55 AM   #101
RED Code Chef

I don't know, but does it really matter? Look at it creatively. If the 1/30th
gives you the look you want and it still looks great then by all means use it!
(I would)

No-one will watch the movie later and say "oh look at the resolution loss this
guy has because he switched to 1/30th shutter on his Optura XI" :)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #102
Regular Crew

Yeah, Rob you have a point. Thanks
Old June 17th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #103
Regular Crew

XI and the auto power off

Is there away to turn the auto power off off. I dont think there is, just thought I'd ask, thanks.
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #104
Wrangler

Not on the original XL1. It will drop into STANDBY from PAUSE if there is a tape in the transport after around 5 minutes. If there is NOT a tape in the camcorder it will not not drop into STANDBY but will remain operating as a camera.
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #105
Regular Crew

Canon suggests that the only way to keep the XI from shutting off is to use the AC adapter as the power source, not the battery. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it's true.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog