Optura Xi various questions - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old June 18th, 2005, 06:33 AM   #106
Wrangler

True - in that when using the battery, the camcorder will shut down when the battery runs out of available charge. However, using the A/C adapter does not prevent the XL1 from going into standby if a tape is in the camcorder.
Old June 18th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #107
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander Christ
Canon suggests that the only way to keep the XI from shutting off is to use the AC adapter as the power source, not the battery. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it's true.
No it still does it with the AC adapter, Im not even using the battery. It makes no sense to have the auto power off when shooting indoors while using the AC adapter, its just stupid.
Old June 19th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #108
Wrangler

Again, the key point is having a tape in the XL1. After about 5 minuts it goes into Standby mode (not the same as turning the power off with the dial). This is a carryover from pure consumer camcorders - to save battery and reduce damage to tape and head wear from a camcorder left in pause mode for a long time.

Pro users complained, so the XL1s had an option to disable this feature so that only the tape transport (VCR portion) is turned off after 5 minutes, the camera head continues to run.
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:29 AM   #109
Wrangler

Key to max cable length for analog signals is the quality loss you can tollerate. You state quality is not a major issue, if so you can use a lot of cable (much more than 20-30 meters) as long as you have enough signal at the far end to drive your monitor, and adding a line amplifier can address that.

Using a small RF converter to change your camera analog output to a channel 3/4 TV signal can get you more distance, especially if using distribution amplifiers - parts available from Radio Shack, and it will give you audio too, but you will need a TV receiver a the other end rather than just a simple monitor.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:34 AM   #110
Regular Crew

im refering to the optura xi, does it do the same thing?
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #111
Regular Crew

Optura XI Zoom

its hard to zoom without the onboard mic. picking up the squeak when u try to zoom real slow. (the friction between the zoom control against the camera)

is there a good way to avoid this witout having to buy an external mic. or having to edit out with sound editing?

thanks
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #112
Obstreperous Rex

All camcorders suffer from this problem. The best way to defeat this issue is to go ahead and get the DM-50 external mic for the Advanced Accessory Shoe. It's shock-mounted and any motor noise from the cam is dampened. It's your best bet, really.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #113
Regular Crew

something happened to the optura Xi

hmm, well today i turned it on to take a few photos, and noticed something weird..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...orted/uhoh.jpg

I have no idea why this happened and what the problem could be...could it be the internal nd filter stuck? or the ccd is messed up?
Old July 29th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #114
Major Player

Very strange. I have the same camera but have not experienced the problem you are. Sorry to be of no help.
Old July 29th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #115
Wrangler

Get it replaced by your vendor or send it to Canon for repairs right away.

I do have to say, it is a very strange error. Not only are both sides different, but there's a third anomaly on the bottom left side as well.

Are you able to re-create the error?
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #116
Regular Crew

Xi Auto-Focus

Howdy,

I was shooting some footage for work the other day and it was a one-man operation where I was pretty much running around like a mad-man the entire time. As such, I chose to leave the focus on auto instead of manual. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get good tracking shots as I was walking around the setting.

Anyhow, I noticed that for some reason, now more than ever, the xi has been a little testy with regards to auto focus. Even when I've got my subject in the frame clearly it pulled in and out (I imagine this was because there were several subjects in the background that were milling about). My question is has anyone else experienced this with auto focus? Any suggestions that would help out? The lighting in this place was phenomenal. In fact, I've gotten the best images yet out of this camera, so I didn't think that was my issue. Just would like to hear if anyone has experienced the same kind of scenario. Thanks.
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #117
Wrangler

I think its been brought up before that the autofocus tends to hunt a bit. I only had a Xi for a month or two but noticed the same tendency even when lighting was above average.
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #118
Wrangler

I've had it occur with my Xi as well.

a. One quick fix is to use infinity focus.
b. Another technique, is to let the autofocus get a lock, and then turn the manual focus ON.

When I'm running around, my thumb is constantly on the MF button, flipping back and forth, to get a solid focus. I only use the focus ring when the cam is on a tripod.

** The on board mic will record the sound of the focus ring. Getting a DM-50 or Videomic will avoid this problem.
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #119
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

Although it's unfortunate that this camera has a tendency to hunt, at least I feel better knowing I wasn't going crazy. Thanks for the tip on the infinity focus. I've rarely ever used that so I'll give it a shot.

Jason
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #120
Major Player

I second Michael's comments, however, I rarely use the auto focus button. I've gotten pretty used to the focus ring.

When I run and gun I just set it to infinity and zoomed out all the way.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog