DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   Optura Xi various questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/38185-optura-xi-various-questions.html)

Shawn Mielke September 26th, 2003 02:51 AM

Optura Xi various questions

Are xlr adaptors strictly compatible with specific camcorders? On the B&H website, there is an adaptor for the xl1s, one for the gl2, etc. Can any of them be used with any cam? I ask because I'm considering getting the Optura Xi, and want an adaptor for it. Could I use the one seemingly meant for the gl2? Or are there ohms to be considered, that sort of thing (I am many things, an electronics tech isn't one of them, capiche? :-) )?

Frank Granovski September 26th, 2003 03:15 AM

I assume you can use an XLR adaptor like a Beachtek, on the Xi. But Canon also make mics for their cams---a cheaper solution. I recall one Canon mic for the older Optura PI which was very good.

Shawn Mielke September 26th, 2003 10:58 AM

You mean just a hot shoe clip on mic that plugs into the 1/8" jack, Frank? I'd considered this, but I think the longhaul solution is the better one; I'm in no great hurry, and the cam together with the adaptor come to only $1300 US. I will, however, get a rather inexpensive shotgun to begin with. Total $1500?
Do you know of any write ups or PDFs for the Xi, beyond the Simply DV review, the general Canon blurbs, and the anticipated review by Allan? For a month old release of a cam, I don't expect volumes, of course.
Thanks!
Shawn

Michael Wisniewski September 26th, 2003 07:37 PM

Both Beachtek and Studio 1 have XLR adapters that can be used with almost any camcorder.

Beachtek (click here)
- has a few adapters specifically designed for certain camcorders.
- they also have one adapter the DXA-6 which supports Phantom mics.
- adapter are designed to be attached to the bottom of the camcorder

Studio 1 (click here)
- adapters are designed to be clipped to your belt/backpack and can be used with almost any camcorder

Canon
- the DM-50 is the shotgun mic that Canon sells for the Xi - it plugs right into the Advanced Accessory shoe and draws power from the camcorder - no need for an adapter

I went with a Studio 1 adapter instead of a beachtek because a few of my camcorders load tapes from the bottom.
The Optura Pi loads tapes from the back, but you should double-check the Xi.

Frank Granovski September 26th, 2003 08:12 PM

Shawn, I don't know of any other reviews except some Japanese reviews which Allan is busy re-writing in English. About the mic, yes, the one that slides into the hotshoe was the one I meant.

Kevin A. Sturges June 12th, 2004 07:55 PM

Optura Xi Video Frame Grabs

Here it is: my totally huge single web page of 16/9 video frame grabs. It will most likely take a long time to load on a dial up connection 'cause I was too lazy to break it up into several pages.

On a few of the pictures, mostly at the Marina, you can see the effect of the TV 1/30th shutter setting. Anything in fast motion has a film-like softness to it.

Most of the pictures toward the end of the page, like with Timmy and Simon my cats, were done in very low lighting, some using the night shot mode.

The pictures are all compressed, but look VERY good, on my HDTV

Here's the link:

http://home.wi.rr.com/kevinsturges/opturaxiframegrabs.html

Michael Wisniewski June 12th, 2004 08:15 PM

Thanks Kevin. Btw, what type of lens do you have attached to your Xi?

* For comparison, here's some frame grabs from my Xi (click here).

Kevin A. Sturges June 12th, 2004 08:58 PM

It's a 2X Telephoto, along with two filters: a circular polarizer, and an ND4. I really just put those on all at the same time, because it looked cool in the picture.

The ND4 and polarizer stay on during the day, but I haven't really used the 2x yet. I just got it. With the zoom range on the camera, the telephoto is kind of overkill, unless your doing surveilance work...

Kevin A. Sturges June 12th, 2004 09:06 PM

Michael, your frame grabs look great. Sometimes overcast days really are the best. Your shots also give me the impression that the Optura Xi almost looks more like a film camera. I think it's because it doesn't "break up" on contrasty, diagonal lines, like most video cams. That's what made me buy it.

With pro quality like this at such a low price point, doesn't it make you wonder what's around the corner?

Michael Wisniewski June 13th, 2004 02:13 PM

Yeah it's a nice cam, really fun to use, and for my purposes, the image quality is great, even with indoor lighting.

Stephen van Vuuren June 20th, 2004 02:36 AM

Xi vs 40 Picture Quality

I don't have a local store that stocks both of this cams...

In 16:9, from what I can tell, both will have pretty much identical picture quality, same CCD block, same anamorphic functionality, DIGIC processor, same RGB filter.

I can't see much difference in lens design. I realize there are other differences, but from just pure picture quality, should they be any different?

Chris Hurd June 20th, 2004 03:01 AM

No real difference, although the Xi has a larger diameter lens than the 40, plus it has OIS. Two big advantages of the Xi are its 3.5" flip-out LCD display, and the nearly bottomless power of a BP-535 batt. A major drawback is that the Xi is a bottom loader (the 40 is a top loader). Also, the 40 shows letterboxed 16:9 in the LCD display, while the Xi shows a spaghetti western. The 40 suffers from tiny batts (even the juiciest is still pretty short lived). Hope this helps,

Stephen van Vuuren June 20th, 2004 10:27 AM

Thanks Chris. That's what I needed to know.

Nate Cannon June 22nd, 2004 01:23 PM

Looking to buy an external mic for my Xi

First, I'd like to say this a fantastic forum! Glad to be apart of it!

I'm looking to purchase an external mic... In doing some research, I submitted a question to Canon:
Quote:

What is the frequency response of the built in mic of the Xi?
There response:
Quote:

I apologize, but we do not have a published specification regarding the
frequency response of the Optura Xi's built in microphone. We regret
this inconvenience.
I would think somebody at Canon knows the answer. ;)

Anyhow, I would like a mic that will possibly reach lower frequency response than the Xi's built-in mic.

Here are a few models I'm considering:
-Azden SGM-X
-Canon DM-50
-Sennheiser MKE 300
-Audio Technica ATR-55

Also looking into NRG brand as well. http://www.nrgresearch.com

I really don't want to spen any more than $150 USD.

Any comments / suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks inadvance!

Nate

Dave Perry June 22nd, 2004 08:08 PM

Nate,

I've used the ATR-55 before and it is very noisy. I don't know about the others.

What I use is the ATR-25. It's a stereo mic and not a shotgun. A clip with it in use can be found at http://www.indecisionthemovie.com/me..._check_2.shtml.

It's mounted on a hand held boom, not the camera. Pictures of it camera mounted can be seen at http://www.daveperry.net/xi.