DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   New Owner with Some Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/38396-new-owner-some-questions.html)

Kody Scott January 26th, 2005 11:01 PM

New Owner with Some Questions

Hi. I got an Optura Xi a week or so ago and I had some questions about it.

1. When I zoom all the way in, which I guess is like 11x, the picture gets really grainy and I can't focus well. Is that normal?

2. What filters would be good to have? I went and got a UV filter to protect the lens, but are there any other filters that are sort of necessary for getting a good looking picture in everyday situations?

3. Is there a lens cap that I could buy which would just pop onto the attached hood of the camera? I am already sick of the clip on one that was included in the box.

4. I bought a tripod from a local camera store and it sucks big time. Its a quantaray qsx 9001 and if I never wanted to move the camera it would be fine, but if I try to pan or tilt or any of that while the camera is filming then it looks like I have parkinsons. I went to the B&H website and looked at some of the thousands of Bogen leg and head combos and I have no idea at all what would be good for me as an amatuer videographer and what is either another piece of crap or something that is totally unnecessary for me. I just want to be able to move the camera around a bit while I shoot and have it be smooth.

5. This one isnt really camera specific, but since Im asking all these questions then I will ask this as well. I want to shoot some stuff with two people sitting in a car and have the camera pointing through the front windshield at the people. Since the camera will be outside of the car and the people will be inside of the car I have no way of getting thier audio through the camera. I was thinking that I need some sort of audio recorder to stick in the car with them so I can record what they say and then match the audio and the video up later in editing. Is this the best way to do this or is there a better one? If what I am thinking is the best way then can anyone recommend an good audio recorder that isnt going to require me to sell a kidney to afford it?

6. Should I buy the canon brand directional microphone or is there a generic model that would work just as well? I spent like 50 bucks or something on a genuine canon battery and then come to find out that they sell knock offs for like a dollar that supposedly are exactly the same thing. I dont mind paying for quality, but I hate to waste money on something that I could get for less.

7. Anyone use one of those image stabilization things with thier xi? I think that eventually I will want to shoot something that will require me to move and so I'd love it if someone would share a bit about their experience with a glidecam or stedicam or one of the other ones like that.

Um... I think thats it. Thank you in advance to anyone who responds to any or all of my questions.

Kody

Kody Scott January 26th, 2005 11:37 PM

Update

Ok I've read a few of the other threads so cancel questions 2, 6, and 7, unless you really want to answer them.

Also, I have one more question. Does anyone use the canon wide angle lens wd-h46 with their camcorder? For some reason I'm all wanting to buy one and so it would be cool if someone had good things to say about it.

Okay thanks!

Chris Hurd January 26th, 2005 11:47 PM

Howdy from Texas,

Apologies in advance for the brief reply. Perhaps someone else will elaborate further on what I'm about to tell you.

<< 1. 1. When I zoom all the way in, which I guess is like 11x, the picture gets really grainy and I can't focus well. >>

Go into the Camera setup menu and turn OFF the Digital Zoom.

<< 2. What filters would be good to have? I went and got a UV filter to protect the lens, >>

Since you already have a UV filter, the next best one to get is probably a Polarizer, which will help for seeing through car windows as you're planning to shoot in question 5.

<< 3. Is there a lens cap that I could buy which would just pop onto the attached hood of the camera? >>

Not that I know of, but take the camera with the hood to any large photo supply store and they might have one which will fit.

<< 4. 4. I bought a tripod from a local camera store and it sucks big time. >>

You might find some good recommendations in our Support Your Local Camera forum. Try asking there.

<< 5. the camera will be outside of the car and the people will be inside of the car I have no way of getting thier audio through the camera. >>

The best solution is to rent or buy a decent wireless mic. You might need one for each actor, plus a portable mixer for both mics in order to send one input into the camera. Rental might be the best way to go for this.

<< 6. Should I buy the canon brand directional microphone or is there a generic model that would work just as well? >>

Only the Canon DM-50 mic will work with the Optura's built-in Advanced Accessory Shoe. And be cautious about those cheap knock-off batteries, some of them can cause serious problems.

<< 7. Anyone use one of those image stabilization things with thier xi? >>

There are a lot of options out there for shoulder supports and such, but in my opinion you should try your best with just hand-holding it. Extra gear isn't going to help you until you're good at hand-holding the camera. Practice as much as you can! The more you shoot, the easier it gets.

Hope this helps,

Chris Hurd January 26th, 2005 11:50 PM

Also the wide-angle adapter is a great idea. Once you have it on there you might never want to take it off.