New Optura Xi Owner - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old March 5th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #16
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick :

Dave, if you're viewing 16:9 footage on a 4:3 set, then the set's displaying about 360 lines of vertical resolution. I hope you're saving hard for a 16:9 set.

tom. -->>>

Tom, I understand, BUT, those 360 lines aren't being spread over the entire set. The letterbox accounts for the other 120 lines.

I shoot 16:9 because most of my clients have wide screen sets and they can wath it in its native format. Those of us with 4:3 sets can watch letterboxed and when we get wide screen the DVDs I'v produced will fill the screen.

BTW, the NTSC version of the Xi is closer to "true" 16:9 than the Pal version.
Old March 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #17
Inner Circle

''BTW, the NTSC version of the Xi is closer to "true" 16:9 than the Pal version.''

Interesting. How do you know this Dave?
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #18
Major Player

Tom,

I think it was you that posted the results of your testing with graph paper a few months ago. I remember I tried a similar after I read your post and found my results to be different than yours. I will have to set up a more controled test and try it again, maybe with some screen captures as well.
Old April 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #19
Tourist

New Optura xi owner with lotsa questions!

Hello everyone!

I've finally received my first miniDV camera, the Canon Optura xi, via eBay, and have been reading all the threads and posts with great interest. I'm making a list of questions that I hope you can help me with. I'm still very new to this, so please be gentle with me if some of the questions are particularly dopey. Maybe your answers can serve as a backbone for a Newbie Owner's guide...

INSPECTION:

-- I just received the camera via eBay. It appears to be in good shape. What should I be looking for while inspecting? What tests could I do to let me know if there are serious problems?

CARE/STORAGE:

-- How do you clean the lenses?

-- When storing the camera, what is the procedure? I've read that you should place the camera in a zip lock bag. There's also mention of a silica packet to remove moisture. Should this be in the ziplock bag?

-- Can you (should you) leave a miniDV tape in the camera when not in use?

-- Should you remove any attached lenses? Should you remove the battery?

-- How often do you use a Cleaning Tape? Are there any other head-cleaning procedures that should be followed, like Q-Tips and rubbing alcohol? What brand of head-cleaning tape is best for the xi?

CONSUMABLES

-- What brand of DVTapes are best for the xi? I've heard the words "wet" and "dry" used when talking about tapes. What does this mean?

-- Are non-Canon batteries ok for use? Any particular brand?

PRICING

-- What's a reasonable price for tapes? Batteries? Lenses? etc...

FILTERS

-- Is a UV filter the same as a "neutral density" filter?

-- Is there an order to lenses... should it go camera, polarizer, UV.... or camera, UV, polarizer... does it matter?

-- The Optura xi takes 46mm lenses. If you want to adapt to a different size, is it better to step up to a larger lens, or down to a smaller one?

SHOOTING

-- Is TV30 the same as 30p?

-- I've heard about setting the white balance with a coffee filter. What is the actual procedure? Point where you're going to shoot, put the filter over the lens, and make the adjustment? Or something else?

Thanks for your help! I'm sure I'll have more questions...
Old April 6th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #20
Wrangler

Congats on your purchase and welcome to DV Info. I think you will enjoy your Xi. Lotsa good questions too, as they get answered, we'll definitely add them to the Optura FAQ.
Old April 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Singer
... received the camera via eBay. What should I be looking for while inspecting?
I'd start by testing the tape mechanism ff/rewind/record to make sure it's working properly. Then double check the image for any lens problems, and test the focus ring. And make sure the firewire, a/v port, headphone, and mic jacks are all working properly.

Quote:
-- How do you clean the lenses?
Make sure to gently blow/brush any dirt off the lens. A lens pen is great for this. You can use lens cleaning fluid or soap & water. But it's important to get the proper lens cleaning material to dry and wipe. Generally, it's advised to start in the center of the lens and move outward in a circular motion.

Quote:
-- ... storing the camera ... silica packet ... ziplock bag?
I keep my camcorders in a safe with lots of silica packets. But it's mostly just common sense. The zip lock bag is a good idea if you're travelling where it might accidentally be dropped into water.

Quote:
-- Can you (should you) leave a miniDV tape in the camera when not in use?
I usually leave the tapes in, unless I'm storing the camera for a month or more.

Quote:
-- Should you remove any attached lenses? Should you remove the battery?
Generally, I never take off either the wide angle lens or the battery.

Quote:
-- How often do you use a Cleaning Tape?
I usually use it before important events, or if the camera gives me the dirty heads message. The main thing is to stick with one tape brand, and use the cleaning tape from the same brand.

Quote:
-- Are non-Canon batteries ok for use? Any particular brand?
Yes 3rd party batteries are commonly used. Check the Optura FAQ for more information on using 3rd party batteries other accessories.

Quote:
-- Is a UV filter the same as a "neutral density" filter?
They are different. Here's a good article on UV filters and one for ND filters. Check the Optura FAQ for more info on using wide angle lenses with different filters.

Quote:
-- Is TV30 the same as 30p?
Nope. Tv30 refers to the shutter speed of the camera - Tv is the shutter priority mode on the camera, 30 is the shutter speed. 30p refers to the way the image is recorded: progressive or interlaced The Optura Xi only records in interlaced mode, specifically 60i.
Old April 8th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Optura Xi Advice...

Hi,

I own the same camera, and the Canon repair facility told me to use a head-cleaner tape following anytime you use a different brand Mini DV tape than you had used previously...i.e., going from Sony to TDK.

Also, the reason I was in for the repair is that the LCD door hinge broke, probably because I nudged it open too far....(and it doesn't really stop or click into its most "open" position, so be careful).

The consequence was that it tripped a relay and killed the video display and the camera operation....they were cool and covered it under warranty...

It's a great camera, a nice, large 3.5" LCD screen, but be careful with it!

Good Luck!

John Reilly

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog