DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   Getting perfect exposures with zebras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/38421-getting-perfect-exposures-zebras.html)

Tony Hall January 27th, 2005 11:57 AM

Getting perfect exposures with zebras

When I was using a GL2, one thing that I'd do to get good expsures was to set my zebras at 90% and make sure that the highlights on faces were just barely getting zebras.

Now, I'm using the Optura Xi and I'm not 100% sure what method I'm going to use since the zebras are set at 100. So far I was thinking about using TV mode to set my shutter at 60 and using exposure lock to get zebras on the highlights of my subject's face and then backing off a stop.

I know I've asked this before but does anyone know what increments (in terms of percentages of an f-stop) the exposure lock is in?

Does anyone have any good Optura Xi zebra tips or techniques that they've developed?

Earon Kavanagh January 28th, 2005 12:54 PM

Re: Getting perfect exposures with zebras

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Hall :

... Now, I'm using the Optura Xi and I'm not 100% sure what method I'm going to use since the zebras are set at 100. So far I was thinking about using TV mode to set my shutter at 60 and using exposure lock to get zebras on the highlights of my subject's face and then backing off a stop.

I know I've asked this before but does anyone know what increments (in terms of percentages of an f-stop) the exposure lock is in?

Does anyone have any good Optura Xi zebra tips or techniques that they've developed? -->>>

Hi Tony,
I'm just learning about this now. It seems that there is no way to set the zebra on the XI. I notice that when I've got zebra switched on I'm getting a lot of over exosure to light. The only way i have countered bthis is to turn up the dial to higher numbers (and that defeats my purpose). If you discover a technique for this please let us know.

Questions:
(1) From your experience how does the XI compare to the GL2 so far?

(2) Does the MA-300 xlr unit work on the XI shoe?

Cheers,
Earon

Tony Hall January 28th, 2005 03:29 PM

No you can't adjust zebras on the XI. To tell you the truth, I'm really disappointed in the XI. There's so many retarded things about it. Zebras set at 100 (we think) that can't be changed? What good is that? Anyone can see whites getting clipped on the LCD screen without the zebras... it's much harder to detect all those levels inbetween 0 and 100... that's why we need zebras.

It's got good color and resolution, but it's ability to work in low light seems very poor so far.

It's got a good bright LCD... that's one good thing.

I've noticed some slight CA with the lens.

With a wide angle adapter focusing seems to be poor. I've only filmed a little with the camera and have already noticed the focus jumping all over the place a couple of times.

For 950 bucks, I really can't complain... I guess. It's about half the price of a GL2 and it's about half the camera too. The resolution is probably better than the GL2, but not by much.

One of the main reasons that I even chose this camera over other cameras is I like the advanced accessory shoe and the DM-50 shotgun mic. It mounts easy without any wires and it's powered by the camera battery so you don't have to worry about your mic's battery dying.

To answer your questions: The GL2 kicks this camera's ass and I don't know if the MA-300 works with it... consult your manual.

Tony Hall January 28th, 2005 03:37 PM

I've also heard people saying that they plan on doing an indie film with the Optura Xi. For the love of god, at least save up some money and get a DVC30 or a used GL2. I don't think the Xi is fit for any professional applications.