Optura 30 opinions / questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old June 18th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Tourist

Optura 30 opinions / questions

here are clips of both optura 30 and Panasonic GS200 operating under 100W

http://www.sutepm.plus.com/vids/deymayor_100w_gs200vsOptura30.wmv

and 60W

http://www.sutepm.plus.com/vids/deymayor_60w_gs200vsOptura30.wmv

i used both cameras at the same time to capture these clips. settings:

- shot around 9:00 PM, on the 100W test, section of the house is measured around 14' x 40', under 60W, room is around 12' x 12'
- manual white balance for both
- for the optura 30, auto slow shutter (1/30) is ON.
Old June 18th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

Thanks, that was very interesting to see.

It looks like the GS200 is better in low light, with the Optura 30 trailing just a bit behind.

I noticed the Optura 30 did a large exposure change in the 100 watt video, when you pointed it at the wall. I wonder if that's because it's in 1/30th mode?
Old November 13th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Optura 30 tape vs card mode footage

I'm testing out the firewire capture with the card mode switched on. Here is the first comparrison.

www.geocities.com/jedwilliamson/footage

*edit * sorry geocities seems to not be working
Old November 14th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Now its up correctly. 4.6 mb.

Let me know what to film next for a comparison.
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the effort. Which part is tape and which is card mode?

Could you try something in better lighting? It was so dark and grainy, it's hard to tell what you are looking for.
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Optura 30 opinions/questions: "apperture lock"?

I had a chance to play with an Optura 30 and was really wowed at what one can get nowadays.

Top loading tape door--so very important...
A really small size.(It should be wonderful on a Hollywood Lite VS-1)
Hi-quality 16:9 mode.
Manual focus ring.
Exposure compensation adjustments.

From looking at the LCD--the picture looks really nice and crisp. Nice fleshtones.

This camera would seem to address all of the shortcomings of my 5 year old consumer digital 8 Hitachi....

I can't go the HDV fx-1 route--it's just too expensive for me to play around with at this moment in time. (it's scary just to think that I'm holding something in my hand that cost almost four thousand bucks)

The Sony PDX-10 is a possible choice however--but it is in another league and price bracket.

But for half the money(and I can get the canon wide angle adapter and two batteries) I'm seriously considering this cam.

The question is...can the exposure/iris/apperture on this thing be "locked"?

That is--if I pan across an open window etc....will the Optura automatically "dim"? Obviously I don't want the iris to close and open noticeably..but will this camera have AE lock?

I hope I'm clear.

Thanks for any information.
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Hi John,

There is an AE lock on any Optura. Just make sure you're not shooting in "Green Box" (easy recording) mode. A button on the back of the cam is labeled "exp" -- that's your manual exposure override and AE lock function.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Optura 30 sample video

http://www.philipwilliams.com/videos/stonemnt.zip
Mpeg2 format (requires Videolan or DVD software)
About 23 megs zipped.
Video is just over 1 minute.

I shot this at Stone Mountain, GA last weekend. The sky was partially overcast with fast moving clouds, so lighting was a bit rough. All shots are with a polarizer (even when they shouldn't have been). The closeups of the park visitors are at full zoom.

The footage was: deinterlaced, field blended for added motion blur, had a not-too-harsh S curve applied, and finally had the red channel desaturated a bit.

Anyway, just thought that prospective Optura owners that are looking for samples might be interested. And remember, this is the 30, the lowest of the currently available Opturas. Its only going to get better from this as you step up in the models (OK, maybe the 50 will be about the same).

Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Nice sample! The RGB filter is a lot more capable than I thought, colors look very 3CCD like. The Optura series really gives a whole lot for your money.

By the way, shouldn't all the Opturas have the same image quality since they all use the same chip?
Old April 9th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #10
Major Player

<<<--
By the way, shouldn't all the Opturas have the same image quality since they all use the same chip? -->>>

Size and quality of the lens makes the difference. According to at least one review the Optura 40 has a slightly better picture than the Optura 30. All and all, the Xi should get an advantage from its substantially larger lens.
Old April 8th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #11
New Boot

Optura 30 16:9 and "TV mode"?

Hi-

I have an Optura 30 camera, and I have two questions.

1) When I capture 16:9 footage to my Windows XP computer with FireWire, the properties dialog of Windows Media Player says "Aspect Ratio: 4:3 actual, 16:9 displayed". Naturally, I am concerned, as so many people are, that the 16:9 mode is actually a loss of quality. I've read every FAQ I can find on it, and I think I finally understand how the Optura 30 works.

So, my question is, is this property noted this way because of the mechanism of "squishing" the 16:9 into the 4:3 frame as discussed? Is there an appropriate way to capture video so that it says "16:9 actual"?

2) I read the FAQ about "TV-mode" and 1/30 second shutter speeds for the Optura Xi. Is this possible with the Optura 30?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old April 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Samborn
Is there an appropriate way to capture video so that it says "16:9 actual"?
You are recording it correctly. There isn't "another way" that your missing out on. The Optura 30 has a real widescreen mode and uses the full width of the CCD to capture the image. But, it still records both 4:3 and 16:9 images into the same MiniDV 720x480 format, this is the standard way of doing it.

The Windows Media read out is correct, it's in a 4:3 format that's been flagged as widescreen, HD/HDV is the way to go if you really want/need a native 16:9 widescreen file.
Old April 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Samborn
... "TV-mode" and 1/30 ... Is this possible with the Optura 30?
The Optura 30's shutter speed range is 1/60 - 1/2000.
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #14
Wrangler

And welcome to DV Info!
Old April 8th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #15
New Boot

Thanks, all set!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog