Outdoor shooting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old February 15th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #1
New Boot

Outdoor shooting

Hi
I'm new to this forum as well as to videography. I recently purchased an Optura Xi and am doing outdoor shots almost exclusively, both longer distance pan shots as well as close ups. I am using a wide angle lens with a UV and Polarizer filter in between. On longer shots I get very clear colors of the vegetation close to me but the colors in the distance (200 ft.) look muddled. To the naked eye these colors really jump out at you but can't seem to get this vivid look. Is that a natural limitation of this camcorder? Any way to improve this? I have also noticed a sort of purple color outlining tree branches.? Close up shots, however, are fantastic. I'm shooting on auto and have turned off the digital zoom and set the white balance to outdoor. Also, I forgot about the sound and have all kinds of background noise...cars driving by, radios, planes flying over...and I had intended to narrate this video. Can that noise be taken out in editing?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The Xi has a most excellent lens in my view, so it may well be the wide-angle converter you're using that's giving you the chromatic aberation you describe. What make and model is the w'angle Stephen? Also it's not good practise to put filters between the A lens and the zoom, and two such filters (one of which is a pretty thick polarisor) is a definate no-no. Go take the same shots without the w'angle and the UV, and report back.

You can certainly do a lot to the audio in post production, the limits are usually set by your imagination and bank balance.

tom.
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #3
New Boot

Tom
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the things you suggested and let you know. The wide angle is made by Digital Optics and is .45X. I got the idea for the wide angle with the two filters from another post I read on this forum.
Thanks again.

Steve
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm hearing more about these Digital Optics on these pages, but not all I hear is good. Does the manufacturer have a web site?

One of the best sites is the Raynox one at:

http://raynox.co.jp/english/video/hd7000pro/index.htm
and
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/egindex.htm

tom.
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the links. Haven't had a chance to read yet but will tonight. My wide angle seems to have stripped threads..just screws in to the adapter and keeps on turning. Hmmm, I have a bad feeling about this product.
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Stephen,

Be sure that the threads that are stripped aren't the Optura lens threads. On the Xi they are plastic and could easily be stripped if abused.
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #7
New Boot

Dave

Thanks for alerting me about the Xi threads. Thankfully the bad threads were on the uv filter (crystal optics). Picked up new filter today at a local camera shop.
Really appreciate both yours and Tom's help.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog