Advice needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old March 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice needed

Hello,

I'am 16 years old and I just formed a film club in my highschool. I have acquired an Optura XI for myself. So far, I only have a UV filter on it. Im currently unable to buy any more accessories, since I've spent so much money.

I would love to hear some good solid advice from the people of this forum. More specifically, advice on the equipment i should use. Basically, my budget is zero, but I want the films to look as professional as possible.

Is there a good cheap tripod with fluid head that can be used with a dolly system?

Will the DM-50 be a good mic. to purchase for my use?

Any more advice on equipment and just good filmmaking, i would appreciate greatly.
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Davis,

You're definitely in the right place if you'd like to learn more about your camcorder. Most all of your questions have already been asked in this forum one way or another... so, I invite you to read through the various discussion threads here, or use the search tool for something specific, such as the DM-50. You'll find a lot of information just by browsing through all of the discussions that are already here. Best regards,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, I could use some more concrete stuff here on this thread on tripods and such.

I have decided to go with the DM-50.

Once again I would love to hear from the members on this board on general filmmaking advice.
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Davis, welcome to DV Info.

Re: General filmmaking advice
The whole board is about general filmmaking. Narrow down your search, there are lots of forums specific to different filmmaking topics. Generally, the best places to get started are the lighting, sound, and the independent production forums.

If you're looking for advice specific to the Optura line, search this board for "accessories" or trying filtering for discussions in the last 100 days. We have some great discussions, with a lot of good advice on using the Optura line + accessories to create movies/films.

Re: DM-50
It's better than the built-in mic for dialogue in a noisy environment, but the built-in mic is better for ambient sound, keep in mind you can only use one at a time. So if you'd like to use more than one mic, look into the Rode video mic or the ATR-55. The sound forum also has many good topics on this.

Re: Tripods/Dollys
try searching the Support Your Local Camera forum for tripod/dolly suggestions, you can join several good threads that are already on the subject

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog