optura 60 came in today at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old April 4th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #1
Skyonic New York

optura 60 came in today

wow a day earlier...i'll have pics and a full report on the cam (if Chris puts up the pics) latter but quick look tells me that i will be keeping this camera...

it is very lightwieght, fits in my cargo pants pocket with ease...

it does have ois but i have to tell you it is very hard to keep the cam steady at any zoom level, its so light, a bigger battery and a wide angle might help a bit i hope...

different then the 40 the 60 has the ability to turn the video light on whenever you want with a 'light' button and shut off the auto function deep in the menu settings

the menu scroller has moved to the front of the camera along with a function button, this is a big mistake....when the lcd is flipped out it blocks the function button, unless you shoot at eye level, but how pratical is that

the problem with the scroller is that it is most effect when using my thumb, that leaves my other fingers blocking the mic, i know it takes some figiting with such a small camera but this one i have to adapt to, it will take some time

the camera does not have a built in lens cover, i thought that would bother me, but it does not, the lanyard attached lens cover works fine...

overall i have to say the camera feels solid, even though its all plastic, the lens ring has a great feel to it, not a big fan of the zoom controller, but that might be a getting use to it issue...

shooting wide screen you get a decent wide view, when i attached an old raynox.7x adapter the view was perfect, just perfect with no distortion, however it is a smaller mount and i have no step up adapters so i had to hold it in...shooting non wide screen is way to tight, my advice is never shoot non wide screen with this camera as you get less resolution, the optura 60 needs to be used in 16:9 mode all the time

this is not my first compact digital video camera but it just might have been ...as my old jvc dvm90 was plauged with issues so i never used it...it will be interesting to comapre the two image wise...
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

Robert, thank you for the review! I love your comment about fitting it in your cargo pants pocket.

A few questions:
1. How do you focus manually?
2. What are the options for adjusting sound input from a mic?
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #3
Skyonic New York

focus is the same as the optura 30/40 by a ring around the lens, of course its servo, but has a nice feel to it, it would have been nice if they added focus numbers in the viewfinder as the 2.5 inch screen is so tiny and when shooting widescreen gets even smaller...

audio is controlled using the scroller in the front of the camera, it's not really a scroller like a mouse has but more like a switch you hold down and and up, press in to change the setting to shutter speed or f stop...there is only one channel shown, i gather its a right left combo...under the meter there is a green bar that you can adjust for gain...

also an added touch if you set your audio levels and just want to fiddle with the visuals using the scroller you can click the audio button hidden in the lcd compartment and it will keep your audio settings for you so that they can't be acidentally changed, but it will still shows the meters...very nice touch indeed

i have to say that having the option to adjust audio at this price point is fantastico...it also calms any fears of tape transport noise...those silly web rumors
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I can put up the pics, just send 'em by email. Thanks Robert,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #5
New Boot

Robert,

I also purchased the Optura 60. It will arrive on Thursday. I wanted to know what wide angle lens would be best suited for this camera.

I searched the threads and it looks like raynox DCR6600 Pro is recommended for the optura xi. I just need to know if the same is true for the optura 60 so I can order it from B&H. I already ordered an extra battery, uv filter and SD 256MB....do I need anything else (i.e. matte box, etc.).

Thanks in advance! I cant wait to get my hands on this thing.

Allan
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #6
Skyonic New York

raynox might make good wideangle adapters but not for this camera, i can't seem to find one to fit the obscure 34mm mount...i also can't find any step up adapters...

i think i'm going to pick up a Canon WD-34, it has no front thread, but it does fit...
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

B&H has step-up ring adapters that will allow you to mount the Raynox WA to the Optura's. Of course you may need to use 2 rings to get to the proper thread size, but it works fine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=%2A&shs=34mm+step+up+rings&ima ge.x=0&image.y=0
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying the following:

Canon WD-34
Canon F-34U 34mm Filter Set (ND.8 and MC Protector)
Tiffen 34mm Circular Polarizer

B&H said that I could sandwich the filters bet. the camera and the WD-34, so having no front thread is manageable.

I will get the camera and accessories on Thursday. I'll be playing with the features this weekend when I go to Lake Tahoe. Any suggestions on settings and filter use (i.e. 1/30th or 1/60th, tv, nd+polarizer or nd+mc, etc.)?

Thanks again.
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #9
New Boot

so many people are getting the optura 60 :D i just got mine in on monday.. so far i love it. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog