New Optura 60 has whining sound!! Optura users? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Optura 60 has whining sound!! Optura users?

Just took my first footage with my Optura 60. During recording or playback, the sound of what I assume is the video head spinning is pretty darn loud and I would characterize it as a high-pitch whine. The sound is annoying to me during taping (my only other camera was a Sony TRV-45 Hi8 which wasn't loud at all...) and is very audible during playback on the TV.

Is this defective, or just the nature of this beast? I've got 10 days to return it, and right now I'm inclined to do so.

Please give me your experience, whether it's with Optura Xi, 300, 400, 500, 50, 60, etc.

Dan
Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM   #2
New Boot

Hay Dan,

Well this is not good news. I’ve been looking all over for information on this cam and I have not seen or heard of any reports about a noise problem. I’m sure a lot of people who read this board have them, hope they can shed some light on this noise problem for you.
Any restocking charge if you send it back?
How did you get it so fast? In earlier post today you said delivery was scheduled for Mon.4/25.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 06:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Frank,

It arrived early unexpectedly (a nice surprise from buydig.com). Unfortunately, there is a 10% restocking fee. The alternative, I'm sure, is to send it to Canon for service, but that would put an awfully bad taste in my mouth about a new cam purchase. I'd seriously consider eating the restocking fee and lick my wounds while I save for a higher end camcorder.
One thing is for sure, in it's current state, the noise is unacceptable to me. It's way too annoying to me. (Again, my 6 year-old Sony Hi8 camcorder has a SLIGHT sound during and recording and playback, but nothing unusual.) I have used a lot of camcorders that weren't mine and never had this reaction.
When I turned this one on, I thought, "Wow, that's loud!

Dan
Old April 22nd, 2005, 06:32 PM   #4
Wrangler

You should definitely exchange it for another one. If the 2nd one has the same problem, then return it.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Agreed. Return it while you still can.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Buydig.com's phones are not open again until tomorrow (I hadn't heard there was a holiday today, the 25th?!), so in the interim I went to Best Buy on my lunch hour with a Mini DV tape in order to compare the noise with other camcorders.

They had an Optura 30. I popped in the tape...the Best Buy "boys" asking what I was doing...;)... and the noise was much less apparent than the camcorder that was shipped to me. So, I'm convinced the Optura 60 I received is defective. However, the Optura 30 at BB still had a "whine" to it that would undoubtedly be picked up by the cam's mics, and which is still unacceptable. I compared it with a Panny GS-250, and the Panny was virtually silent (as close as you can come to silence in the din of a Best Buy...)

I know now I won't be keeping this camcorder. I'm either going to eat the $75 non-refundable fee, or I'm going to upgrade to an Optura Xi.

One other thing that really bothered me about the Optura 60 is the incredibly bad low light performance. Having only ever had a Sony TRV-45 (with the "0 Lux" label permanently attached), which got grainy under low light, but still had an image, I was taken aback at how horrible the Optura did in such conditions (a room with a single 60 watt bulb). I didn't try it in manual mode, but my wife isn't going to be messing with any manual controls and she shoots a lot of our home video. I have to say, I always poo-pooed complaints about low light capabilities, thinking people were too picky, but now I see what all the fuss is about. Because I do videotape my preschool age children indoors quite a bit and shooting indoors without extra lighting is important.

The Xi couldn't possibly be as bad in low light, could it?

Of course, the review on camcorderinfo.com that pointed out the low light deficiency was posted AFTER I ordered this thing.

I welcome more comments/opinions.

Dan
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #7
New Boot

Hi Dan,

“I'm either going to eat the $75 non-refundable fee, or I'm going to upgrade to an Optura Xi.”

Does that mean if you return it and get another model that costs the same or more then you don’t have to pay that restocking fee? If that’s the case then your in really good shape.
You tried the Panny 250 and …..what you didn’t like it? Reviews say not very good in low light but better then the Op60.
You get more with the Xi (zebra pattern…nice) but the Xi is not in the same price class as the Op60 and GS250 so a comparison becomes awkward.
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,

Yes, if I upgrade to the Xi, there is no restocking fee. I should say that I don't have any beef with BuyDig.com. Their service was excellent and I understand that a restocking fee is a normal part of business (and keeps the returns down).

When I say I compared the GS-250, I mean that I only listened to how loud it was when the video heads were spinning. I didn't check it for low light capability.

I should also say that, for ME, the one "MUST HAVE" feature I want in my new camcorder is "true widescreen" capability(not fake or simple letterboxing). That's what made the Optura family, and especially the 60, with it's low price, so appealing. (The GS-250 does not have "true widescreen", otherwise I'd probably buy it..)

I was so happy to see this new product, I didn't wait long enough for new consumer feedback to emerge. I guess it's my turn to be the guinea pig!

Dan
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #9
New Boot

I’m pleased that things seem to have worked out for you.
Don’t feel bad about your choice of the Op60, on paper the thing still looks good to me. The review would not have helped you discover the wining noise and the only real negative pointed out in the review was the low light performance.

Within the next day or so I’ll make my choice and I’ll let you know what and how it works out for me.

Frank
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Just as a follow up:
I returned the Optura 60 and Buydig.com refunded all my money except for shipping charges. Kudos to them.

I decided not to get an Optura Xi for now. I want to ponder my next purchase for awhile...

Dan
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

I have the Xi. Great cam all around, especially if you have a widescreen HDTV to watch it on. One of the first things I noticed about it was how quiet it was. It's about as silent as you could realistically hope for in a camcorder with moving parts. The motor noise is nearly non-exsistent on tape when recording in a quiet room.

My last camera was a Sony D8. The whine from the motor was very apparent and annoying on any indoor recordings.

Kevin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog