Earliest Optura model with RGB Color Wheel Filtering? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old May 9th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Earliest Optura model with RGB Color Wheel Filtering?

Hey all,

What is the earliest Optura model that offers the RGB color wheel filter? From what I can tell, it looks like the 30, but I want to confirm.

Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #2
Major Player

The RGB filter goes all the way back to the original Optura. It's a feature that's been removed on some of the more modern Opturas for various marketing (read: corporate greed IMO) reasons.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Major Player

All the way back? Interesting. So, how would the image quality of an Optura 20 compare to a 30 or something else current? The price difference can be about 50% between the 20 and 30.

Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt Wilson
All the way back? Interesting. So, how would the image quality of an Optura 20 compare to a 30 or something else current? The price difference can be about 50% between the 20 and 30.

Thanks!
I believe (going totally on memory here) that the 20 has the digital "crop and stretch" 16:9 mode whereas the Optura 30/40 finally introduced a real (ie. anamorphic) 16:9 mode. If you need 16:9, the Optura 30 destroys the 20. If you only need 4:3 video, well, you'd want to carefully compare the manuals at canondv.com to see if there are any other worthwhile differences. I'm sure the 20 produces some really nice video.

Oh yeah, I believe the Optura 30 has better still images. I've got a few examples on my site (downsampled to 800x600).

Good luck,
Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

For feature set reference, compare the full spectrum of the Optura line on my page located at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonoptura/articles/compare.php

For more details see also my Optura Lineage page located at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonoptura/articles/lineage.php

(although I do not yet have a descriptive paragraph for the Op60/50 -- but I'm working on it)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Can anyone explain: what is the RGB color wheel filter? How does it actually work? Sounds like something that spins with a motor...

What actually makes it better than single chip cameras that don't have it?
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sturges
Can anyone explain: what is the RGB color wheel filter? How does it actually work? Sounds like something that spins with a motor...

What actually makes it better than single chip cameras that don't have it?
Here's a link to Canon Europe:
http://www.canon-europa.com/mvx30ser...ePageID=196706

The Optura Xi online PDF brochure has a marketing description of the filter as well.

Hmmm... honestly I still don't really know what makes it so different/better, though the CMYK/RGB info on the European site probably makes sense. All I can say is that a primary RGB filter definitely works. I really think that 1CCD cams with the filter have superior color. Unfortunately there's a tradeoff, as the filter absorbs quite a bit of light. I think this is one of the reasons that the new Eluras with a less light-absorbing secondary RGB filter have better low light capability than the primary RBG filter equipped Opturas. And that's with a somewhat smaller CCD even.

As an FYI for those not aware, Canon isn't the only manufacturer to use primary RGB filters (though they advertise it the most). I believe the Sony PC350 (and maybe other models) uses one as well.

Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #8
New Boot

i am a happy Optura 20 owner. I mainly use it for skating, filming swim meets, water polo games, school events, and family stuff. I think I am out growing it though. Im going to get something better this summer when I can afford it.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Frame grabs?

Kevin,

Would you minding sharing any frame grabs or video so I could get an idea of the image quality of the Optura 20? A mix of subjects would be very helpful for my search.

Thanks,
Brandt
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Brandt, the Op20 was discontinued quite awhile ago -- it's two generations old now.

For more RGB vs. CMY info, see my page at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonoptura/ar...ra70-2.php#rgb

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog